Hanging a TV on interior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Upstairs the interior walls are what I call eggboard, Im afraid i dont know the correct name, its two sheets of 1/2" plasterboard with a cardboard honeycomb pattern in between, whilst its great for dropping cables down im not sure it can support anything except picture frames ,Can anyone tell me if it would be possible, using suitable fixings to mount a 42" TV onto. We have got radiators on a couple of the walls but obviousley they have "some" support from the C/H pipes.

Sponsored Links
Yes, if the telly is flush to the wall and the bracket is towards the top of the telly. Most of the force on the fittings will be downward and plasterboard is fairly strong in compression.

If you want to angle the telly away from the wall on a bracket, then the force on the fittings will be horizontal and plasterboard has poor resistance to pull-out / tension forces.

If you want to be really certain put some plywood on *both* sides of the wall and bolt through all the layers.

two sheets of 1/2" plasterboard with a cardboard honeycomb pattern in between

Does it have studs? You can use a magnet to try and find the screws that are holding it to the studs. Some do not have any studs.

dry_partition_wall.jpg

Gaz :)

Glue a piece of ply [18mm] the same profile as the tv bracket to the wall and also fix with a few plasterboard fixings , then you can screw the plate to the ply which will spread the load of the tv.

Sponsored Links
There are just 2x1 studs 4ft apart on this type of wall, with a corresponding header and footer. If your TV is fitting in close to the wall, then consider using Gripif fixings. But as Owain says, don't bother trying to fit a fold out bracket unless the TVs as light as possible, and you've got a spreader board for the fixing bracket.

I think Doggit is right, there seem only to be studs every 4ft but the TV is going close to the wall, and not on an extending bracket. Great aadvice chaps thanks, much appreciated....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back