TV hanging advice/comfort

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Wondering if you could help/reassure me in relating to an issue I've had today trying to hang my tv off the wall.

I recently moved into a new semi detached house (built in 2006) and so I'm still learning where thins run, what wall are made if what etc. I'm looking to hang the tv on the wall in the living room that connects to my neighbour (tv weighs about 14kg) but I'm having a bit of a mare with it:

1) knocked on the wall and it sounded like a stud wall, seemed strange so I drilled a small pilot hole (after using cable/pipe finder). After about 20mm plaster, I hit a void.
2) after finding the void, I drilled a 13mm for a stud wall clamp but whilst tightening the 3inch bolt (supplied with the wall mount) I found that the void was only about 30mm deep then I hit brick, so couldn't properly use the wall clamp.
3) after finding the brick I drilled about 40mm into the brick with a 9mm bit to use the brick fittings provided.
4) to fill the void and extra 4mm gap from the first hole, I've bunged the whole lot with no more nails and stuck the wall plug in as far as I can. I'm leaving overnight to set.

My questions would be, do you think this would support the weight of half the tv (about 7kg) and what would be the best approach be to the 2nd hole I'll be doing later,assuming I run into the same wall conditions.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply and the info on dot & dab - never heard of that before. The bodge appears to holding so far so I guess the job's a good 'en :confused:

For future reference what us the best way of putting something on dot & dab; drill as deep as you can, lots of no more nails and hope?

Cheers

When fixing a heavy load to plaster board on dot and dab for each fixing screw I cut a hole in the plaster board an inch in diameter. Into this I put a piece of inch diameter dowel with a clearance hole drilled for the screw. The dowel is cut to be just proud of the surface of the plaster board.

This removes any pressure from the plasterboard and ensures the screws can be fully tightened without fear of the plasterboard cracking

It also supports the screw along it's entire length and reduces the tendency for the part of the screw between brick and the bracket to bend under the weight.

Sponsored Links
No but I have now.

It still relies on the plaster and grip fill not crumbling under pressure.

If the centre of gravity is close to the wall ( slim line appliance ) then the forces at the fixings are mostly vertical. But if the centre of gravity is not close to the wall the lower fixings will have a horizontal force pressing into the wall.

I did but thought it was the best solution for that specific scenario, not in generally with for & dab

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back