Hanging curtains into plasterboard/wooden frame - will these plugs work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to hang some reasonably heavy curtains into an external wall of my wooden frame house. Will the below plugs work? I can’t seem to find any that advertise curtains specifically

I’m thinking the Timco ones if I can find a stud, or the fisher ones if I end up drilling straight into plaster.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1AA8ED42-7FAD-4D78-8FC0-C32EEAF302F0.jpeg
    1AA8ED42-7FAD-4D78-8FC0-C32EEAF302F0.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 25
  • C337F814-0853-4E88-84A4-C505F4617077.jpeg
    C337F814-0853-4E88-84A4-C505F4617077.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 21
Sponsored Links
If you find a stud you won't need any sort of plug (assuming they are timber).
Heavy curtains can be a problem when people tug them open/closed in random directions. The more fixings you use, the lower the load on each one.
I've used the Fischer types before but be wary, you usually need a setting tool with that sort of thing. No idea on the Timco ones.

Typically in a timber frame house, that is timber frame internal skin and brick/rendered block outer skin you would have a timber lintel above the openings which in effect is a couple of 150x50 (or similar size) timbers eg

TLBW03-2.jpg

But it begs the question is it traditional timber frame or not? Is it a new house?

Hi, thanks for the replies. I guess a traditional frame, house was built in 98.

Image above is helpful, thanks!

Sponsored Links
In 98 I would expect it to be along the lines of the above image. So assuming you wish to make your fixings into the lintel then ordinary wood screws will be more than adequate, just might need to be a bit longer to go through the plasterboard and whatever else may be between the plasterboard and the timber.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back