Hanging French Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a joiner? yea well, ring back in June.....

So now I have to fit my exterior french doors plus 2 demi panels all on my lonesome. Can anyone give me an idiots guide to hanging them?

I hear that a stringline is employed to ensure that the frame is square, is that so? and how do I do it? I'm not frightened to have a go, but quite frankly, the more help I can get on this, the better.

All tips warmly welcomed.

Sponsored Links
This is a quick condensed procedure but should be enough to do the job.Most important thing is to keep checking the whole thing is level 'cos the doors won't close properly if you are out of square or twisted.Equip yourself with a good spirit level , packers/shims , frame fixings ( usually M8 X 120 ), power drill , cordless drill , hammer . Fix the doors into the opening first , level it up in all directions and pack it in place. Fix it through the top and bottom checking that you are still square by making sure the doors are able to open freely and lock when shut. Then fix the side panels to the wall and to the door frame , using the packers where needed , making sure the screws you use to connect door frame to panel frame are not too long. Continue to check all faces with the level .In general it is just common sense about how they are fit and well within a DIY'ers scope. If you need any more help let me know.

Thanks for the tips Daz. I should have mentioned that I have to fit the frame into the opening too. Is that where the string line comes in? or is it a case of applying the tips that you gave to the frame as well?

Yes the procedure is the same for the frame as well. I was assuming you were fitting a PVCu unit with the doors built in. With a hardwood frame just fit as the tips above and hang the doors according to the finished opening size. I think it is safe to give your string line a day off but your spirit level will be busy.

Sponsored Links
You mention `joiner` which tends to suggest wood.
Make sure your frame is square by mesuring the diagonals ie top left corner to bottom right corner then topright corner to bottom left corner.
Both mesurements should be the same in a square frame, if not adjust till they are.

Thanks both for the advice. ( I guess I overdid the string line then eh? ;) )

just a quick tip or two if you are fixing timber doors and frame, make sure that the head is level..... then put a fixing top and bottom of each side.... dont fully tighten them yet! then hold your door inside the frame, it should touch all around without any gaps. if there are big gaps, undo one of the fixings and reposition the frame. if there are small gaps, use folding wedges to move the frame in and out. put the rest of your fixings in (with wedges if needed) and check again with the door. same goes for the other side
another thing........ if you have to cut the door down, cut the hinge side!
its not too hard if you take your time and double check!

Using a stringline is common practice when installing a larger frame/lining.
Cut two lengths of string or cord and using drawing pins or tacks/small nails, fix one length to the inside top corner of the frame to the oposite bottom corner in a diagonal line, then repeat on the other side.
You should end up with a cross. At the center of the cross if the strings touch then the frame is not twisted, if there is a gap then move the frame legs in or out to adjust the twist.
Good luck.

Info:

99% of spirit level are out of line ! and this can effect your work.You can check this by turning the spirit level round again to the same spot and the bubble should be the same as left & right,if it isn't they can be adjusted.You should always check the spirit level first before any work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back