Hanging kitchen wall cabinets from stud partition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a corner wall cabinet in the kitchen and have encountered a stud partition directly in line with the position i had planned to fit the hollow wall anchor.

Is there any particular screw i could fit directly into the partition? I've looked at self-tapping screws but haven't found anything longer than about 50mm at the main DIY places. Would this be sufficient? Or is there anything better, like a coach screw, etc?

Sponsored Links
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Twinthread+Screws/d90/sd850
46484.jpg

Countersunk head is no good i'm afraid. The wall cabinet will just slip off.

Sponsored Links
Can't use washers either because the cabinet already has it's own adjustable fittings which act like washers.

The question i really need to answer is whether a simple screw will be strong enough to support one corner of the wall cabinet if the other corner is supported by a hollow wall anchor.

If so, would 50mm be long enough? If not, would a coach screw work?

Personally I wouldn't bother with hollow wall anchors never really a good fixing in my eyes.
I've got a wall mounted cabinet in my bathroom and had the same situation i.e. stud wall with studs in the wrong place. Solved the problem by simply fixing a piece of ply to the wall and fixing the cabinet to that, easy and much more piece of mind than anchors.

Personally I wouldn't bother with hollow wall anchors never really a good fixing in my eyes.
I've got a wall mounted cabinet in my bathroom and had the same situation i.e. stud wall with studs in the wrong place. Solved the problem by simply fixing a piece of ply to the wall and fixing the cabinet to that, easy and much more piece of mind than anchors.

...and how does that answer the question?

can we have a picture off the fixings please to work out what sort they are

Simple , chuck the anchors in the bin use the ply and you can fix your cabinet with a million and one decent fixings if you want!

The anchors aren't the problem. Try reading the original post properly.

The anchor would appear to be THE problem after reading your OP properly as you cannot fit it. As you cannot or do not want to use washers use a 2" x 10 round head screw.
And stop being so stroppy when someone suggests a solution that just might get you out of the problem.

Simple , chuck the anchors in the bin use the ply and you can fix your cabinet with a million and one decent fixings if you want!

may i respectfully suggest that when people give there time for free you try and show a bit more respect and appreciation
thank you

May i respectfully suggest that if you have difficulty reading the post properly perhaps you shouldn't bother posting a reply. What's the point in giving your 'advice' for free if that advice is totally irrelevant? I specifically asked whether there was any particular screw which would do the job. I didn't ask whether anyone thought i should rip out all the wall anchors and start all over again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back