Hanging kitchen wall cabinets from stud partition

Perhaps you could elaborate on your problem a bit more clearly.

We have no idea what sort of cabinet you're trying to hang, what sort of fixing it comes with, and quite what you're trying to fix into (plasterboard? stud/noggin behind plasterboard?).

Sponsored Links
May i respectfully suggest that if you have difficulty reading the post properly perhaps you shouldn't bother posting a reply. What's the point in giving your 'advice' for free if that advice is totally irrelevant? I specifically asked whether there was any particular screw which would do the job. I didn't ask whether anyone thought i should rip out all the wall anchors and start all over again!

we cannot possibly advise correctly without all the relevant information have you got a picture please or a link to the brackets/fixings attached to your cabinet

If I'm reading your original post correctly, it would seem that you have been fixing wall cabinets to a studwork wall and have been using hollow wall fixings.
You have now encountered a stud directly behind the place you want to fix to?? If I'm right, then just use screws to fix directly through the plasterboard and into the stud behind.
Because of the lack of detail in your original post, no one here knows what sort of brackets/fixings come with the wall units. Are they the sort where a bracket is fixed to the wall and the unit has an adjustable mounting fixed inside the wall unit? The wall unit then hangs off the bracket and is adjusted for plumb and level? If it is this type then ordinary 2" No 8 or 10 screws will suffice.

If I'm reading your original post correctly, it would seem that you have been fixing wall cabinets to a studwork wall and have been using hollow wall fixings.
You have now encountered a stud directly behind the place you want to fix to?? If I'm right, then just use screws to fix directly through the plasterboard and into the stud behind.
Because of the lack of detail in your original post, no one here knows what sort of brackets/fixings come with the wall units. Are they the sort where a bracket is fixed to the wall and the unit has an adjustable mounting fixed inside the wall unit? The wall unit then hangs off the bracket and is adjusted for plumb and level? If it is this type then ordinary 2" No 8 or 10 screws will suffice.

Anyone would think i'd posted the original question in a foreign language. I clearly stated that i had 'encountered a stud partition directly in line with the position i had planned to fit the hollow wall anchor' and yet you are asking me whether i've 'encountered a stud directly behind the place you want to fix to'! I didn't say what sort of fixings came with the wall unit because there aren't any. As i've already said, the cabinet will hang directly off whatever fixing i use in that corner, it will hang off a wall anchor in the other corner.

Sponsored Links
i think the problem is you are trying to get an answer to help you solve the the problem the way you want to rather than the correct way thus the extra questions and misunderstandings

any way good luck and i hope it all works out for you :D ;)

i think the problem is you are trying to get an answer to help you solve the the problem the way you want to rather than the correct way thus the extra questions and misunderstandings

No, the problem is that there are far too many people on this site who are incapable of giving a simple answer to a simple question. If you don't have an answer then don't respond, it's not complicated.

What sort of fixing does it hang off? You've so far told us a countersunk screw won't work, so what will?

Can't use washers either because the cabinet already has it's own adjustable fittings which act like washers.
You then go on to say in a later post " didn't say what sort of fixings came with the wall unit because there aren't any."

I asked (quite politely) "
Are they the sort where a bracket is fixed to the wall and the unit has an adjustable mounting fixed inside the wall unit? "

You still have not answered this.
In answer to your original post then. Yes a 2" No 8 screw will suffice to hang the wall unit from.

FYI
Fixings= screws/bolts/rivets/wall anchors etc.

Colloquially, us joiners use the term fixings when we should really use the term fittings (meaning the pack of fittings that come with kitchen units etc.

Perhaps you can now enlighten us as to what Fittings came with your wall unit.

PS, I respectfully ask you to consider changing your user name to I8Everyone. Your replies have not endeared you to anyone on here.

Well at least you're prepared to have a go at answering the original question, even if you do seem reluctant to accept that there are NO fixings/fittings supplied with the cabinet. It is an Ikea unit. They don't supply fixings.

Contrary to the nonsense posted by some on here, hollow wall anchors are perfectly adequate for hanging wall cabinets. The last lot of cabinets hung from them for the last 10 years without any problems, so i don't want to rip them all out and 'chuck them in the bin' as some smart arse suggested earlier!

I simply need a fixing/fitting in the one place where i can't use a hollow wall anchor, which will be strong enough to support the weight of one corner of the wall cabinet. I'm going to try a 10 x 2" pan head self-tapping screw before i lose the will to live waiting for a sensible response on here!

so that's around 8 people on here and ultimate handyman that are unable to help you along with other forums you may have posted the same question
how long before you ask yourself the question "could i be wrong rather than all the people that have tried to help me "????

again i wish you luck :D :D ;)

Just seen his posts on UHM. cheeky little beggar isn't he. ;) ;) ;)
If he was in the middle of a forest, he wouldn't see the wood for the trees

I fink the answer lies in the soil. :rolleyes:

Us country folk would plant a row of trees, then when they get big en, cut da tops off and balance the cupboards on them trunks.

The alternative to save waiting around for da trees, is plant the fork in the worktop to prop the corner up.

Just seen his posts on UHM. cheeky little beggar isn't he. ;) ;) ;)
If he was in the middle of a forest, he wouldn't see the wood for the trees

yes in the situation i have been very restrained in my answers :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back