hanging lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lining paper I am using is very thick and difficult to move around. I have soaked it for the recommended time, 7 to 10 minutes. This does not seem to be long enough as it is still difficult to move into place. Would it be ok to soak it for a longer amount of time, ie- 15 minutes or more if needed?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean difficult to 'slide' If so, have you made sure your walls are sized i.e. not too absorbent. What might be happening is when you start to hang paper. the water in the paste is being sucked into the dry wall so making it difficult to slide into position.
Is the wall Bare plaster/ emulsion?
A good surface is one that is sealed just enough for the paste to soak into , BUT not too glossy so the paste can't soak in.

Hope this makes sense :LOL:

Merry xmass

I agree with confident, however............... I seem to be the only decorator in the country :D that thinks 7 - 10 minutes isn't nearly long enough soak time. Nowhere near enough.

I soak my stuff for at least 20 minutes and most lengths a lot longer and if i'm rushing with a piece, I sponge the front of it with water to hasten the soak time.

Don't be skinny with the paste then, after pasting, so as not to let the edges dry... fold as normal on boards, then roll over.

That's the paper....not you.

Sponsored Links
happy christmass growle. :LOL:

Yeah well I leave mine to soak for at least 10 mins.. (the lining paper i mean) Then if it don't wrinkle/ shrivel while drying I know its ok.. I actually use ready mix (light) lately, can't seem to find the lap paste..which sticks like ****e to a brick.

Hope your busy etc m8..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back