Hanging mirror - plasterboard fixings hitting something and ripping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Excuse the title but unsure how else to word it.

I'm hanging a massive mirror in mum's house using plasterboard fixings (the metal spiral shaped ones). First one went in fine, but the second went in about an inch before hitting a solid surface and going no further (thus just churning a hole in the board).

I cleared the hole out a bit to try and see if it's a wooden stud, or a metal channel covering cables or something but it's not clear. I don't think it's wood from the feel of it (jabbing in there with an insulated screwdriver) but brick wouldn't make much sense either as the other one (30cm to the left) went in without issue.

I wouldn't expect it to be covering leccy wiring really. The circuit board is about 6ft to the left of it and the only leccy thing on the wall is a double socket further over to the left (but then what would I know).

Anyway, what would you suggest here? I don't want to drill in case it is wiring back there, and there's not enough cavity space to get one of the types of fixings in which open up behind the wall...

For context, it's a mid-terrace 30ish year old house in England.

Suggestions warmly welcomed as ever! Let me know if you need pics or more info please, ta.
Matt

Sponsored Links
I think I am one of the few people who like spiral plasterboard fixings. BUT I only use them on drop loads that are flat against the wall (such as pictures, even heavy mirrors). BUT never for any loads that stick out from the wall and present any leverage to pull them out (eg curtain rails, toilet paper holders, coat hooks).

When I know there is an obstacle behind the plaster I sometimes remove the tip end of the spiral plasterboard fixings so it is hallow enough to not hit the bricks and push back damaging the plasterboard.
Sfk

Last edited:
Could be dot and dab on brickwork [external/party wall ?]in which case first fixing just happened to strike a hollow area.

Sponsored Links
How "Massive" is this mirror , more important how much does it weigh ?

A couple of fixings into nothing strong than plaster board will hold a small mirror.

If you want to ensure that the massive mirror will not fall off the wall some time in the future then the fixings need to go into something stronger than plaster board

As Bernard says, no chance I'd be hanging a heavy mirror off plasterboard; it's an accident waiting to happen.

Thanks all. I say massive, it's probably about 10kg.

I hung one in my old place which was 20kg on these without issue - as it was fairly flush to the wall the shear weight was mostly straight down so it didnt hesitate.

I'm happy to go into brick but insure of the most appropriate way to do it...

What fixings would you recommend please?

Ta again
Matt

I've never had a problem with Rawl plugs into brick, just make sure they're in correctly before screwing into them.

I normally drill the hole, tap Rawl plug in, put scre in 2 turns then tap the screw a few times before finally tightening.

Cut holes in plaster board
drill holes in bricks for rawl plugs (or bolts and chemical anchor )
fit wooden spacers with holes drilled for screws to be level with surface of plaster board
upload_2019-7-28_14-1-28.png

Not Timer but Timber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back