Hanging privacy screen?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having issues with my neighbours. They like to live with their door open half the year and when we open our door, we have to look at each other - not happened loads (kids at same school, invariable leave house at same time, and when they have friends round they like to keep the door open!), but enough to be a bit unpleasant (there's a back story, which involves some pretty nasty behaviour on their part, which is why we want to avoid having to look at them but don't worry about that).

We wanted to put up a trellis on what we thought was a party fence, but they claim ownership of the fence under the carport, and say no, we are not to touch it (when I bought the house in 2002 the solicitor told me that the fence under the carport was co-owned).

Anyway, we really want to put something up so we do not have to see them whenever we leave the house. One thought was to screw something into the ceiling on our side of the boundary - but I am not sure how it is constructed. I was thinking of something like a large fake topiary basket, but my wife wants to hang a screen there (trellis with fake ivy). They still won't like that, but so long as it is on my property and not touching the party fence (which they have claimed ownership of!) then I don't see that they can do anything other than moan and bitch about it.

I know that there are no pipes above that edge, and electrics, I think, all come down from ceiling rather than across the floor, so screwing in should not be a problem. The question is, what am I likely to be screwing in to? How solid is that type of outdoor ceiling (does it have a name?) if I don't find a joist?

Also, any alternative suggestions on how to deal with this? Making peace seems to be off the cards - I think Trump will make peace with ISIS first. And yes, I am also thinking about moving because if it! But short term, need to block them from view to try to keep our sanity.

Attachments

• IMG_20160816_162509346_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160816_162509346_HDR.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 136
Sponsored Links
If you fastened 2 lengths of 3x2 across the opening & attached to the brick pillars then you could fix your trellis to them

had thought about that, but thinking that if we even touch the "party wall" it might give them reason to object. But, an option. I think the gape is about 3m wide. Because they also complained about it blocking light, we was thinking we could put a trellis lower, that blocks view at eye level when in the house, but leaves a gap top.

It looks like your door has a step down on to the driveway? If so, surely when you are at ground level their door is out of view isn't it?

IMHO, if you put anything there, you may add fuel to the fire. Better off just ignoring them if they are that bad.

Sponsored Links
hard to ignore somebody who is staring at you! but maybe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back