Hanging tiles on front exterior of house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,
I have hanging fascia tiles at the front of my property that have been painted by the previous owners.
This paint has started to peel and flake and look pretty awful. I have gone up on a ladder and attempted to scrape some paint away from a tile to see how easy they would be to re-paint but it wasn't easy to remove and I was scared about the possibility of the tiles falling.
So I'm looking for advice really on the best approach to take to remove the existing bad paint easily, and then prepare and repaint (what primer and paint should I use so this doesn't happen again)?
Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Photos would help.

On my current job some of the paint had flaked off but it was only about one or two layers. I used a wire brush and scraper to remove the loose stuff. Each tile should be held in place by two nails.

Personally, I would rather work off scaffolding than use a ladder against tiles. Not only because of the risk of breaking tiles but because it is safer and far more productive.

In London, if you know someone that knows someone, you can get a single lift of scaffolding for about £200-250 cash. Elsewhere it will be cheaper.

Make sure they're not asbestos before getting too carried away with the scraping. Personally I'd either replace the lot or accept that they're never going to look very good and just hose them down and then (when dry) slap some Zinsser Allcoat on and hope for the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back