Haphazard lighting layout.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. In an ideal world, the lighting circuit would be as in the drawings, feed into the pattress or fitting, cable off to the switch and loop on to the next fitting.
However, is there anything to stop you running the feed into the switch box, connecting the neutrals in a connector and then running on to the light fitting? Or, for that matter, doing it all in a 20A box stuffed into the studwork and then looping on to the next light from there?
What about a mixture of all of the above in the same circuit?
Obviously I'm assuming its all drawn up and documented and all lives are brown sleeved etc. and everything buried is RCD protected.
The reason I'm asking is that so many light fittings now have no room in them for more than 3 wires and its much easier to run a single switched t&e to a fitting than one to it and another from it.
Sorry if its a bit obvious for those of you with loads of experience.
Any 17th refs you could point me to?
Cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links
Interconnecting in the switch box is just fine.

Hidning a terminal box in the studwork is not fine. The regs state that all screwed connections must be accessible. The old style of a multi-connection box under the floorboards/in ceiling/behind plasterboard is not allowed.

I use loop-in for pendants and switch box interconnect for other stuff (like downlights, wall lights and outside lights etc.)

It is quite common nowadays to have the cable going into the switch first with the neutrals connected in the back via strip connectors.

is there anything to stop you running the feed into the switch box, connecting the neutrals in a connector and then running on to the light fitting?

That's perfectly acceptable, and is becomming the conventional way of doing domestics where for example you have downlights with little room for loop in connections at the fitting.

Or, for that matter, doing it all in a 20A box stuffed into the studwork and then looping on to the next light from there?

You should not do this.

Every screwed connection must remain accessible for inspection and testing purposes.

What about a mixture of all of the above in the same circuit?

You can mix and match to suit the particular lay out and requirements of the job.

Loop in
Loop at the switch
Joint box method
DI Singles (conduit method)
and anything I've missed.

The reason I'm asking is that so many light fittings now have no room in them for more than 3 wires and its much easier to run a single switched t&e to a fitting than one to it and another from it.

Yep. I don't think the designeres have ever even considered how to install one of their fittings, let alone tried to at the top of a pair of steps.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Yep. I don't think the designeres have ever even considered how to install one of their fittings, let alone tried to at the top of a pair of steps.

Oh aint it just!

One of the first things I'll do when I'm in charge is force all light fitting designers to install their own products, under duress, on live TV, with an audience to laugh at them. And I'll make them use the supplied accesories too, the comedy connector blocks and the nasty little raw plugs. (I don't think I've ever hung a light fitting with raw plugs) :rolleyes:

Back to the original topic, its pretty much the norm for me when wiring big kitchens with multiple light channels and normally a dedicated circuit, to run the main feed straight to the plate and switched lines from there.

Yep. I don't think the designeres have ever even considered how to install one of their fittings, let alone tried to at the top of a pair of steps.

I'm convinced that these http://www.value-electrical.co.uk/micromark-orbit-2-light-flush-luminaire-mm72505-1990-p.asp are a two man job :(

... Its a good job I could reach it from the floor to support the glass rings while my mate ****ed about getting the three spacers bolted in, making sure there was a washer each side of the glass :evil:

I'm convinced that these http://www.value-electrical.co.uk/micromark-orbit-2-light-flush-luminaire-mm72505-1990-p.asp are a two man job :(

... Its a good job I could reach it from the floor to support the glass rings while my mate p****d about getting the three spacers bolted in, making sure there was a washer each side of the glass :evil:

heh, least it's honest cheap tat, p&&sed off a customer of mine, while attempting a zip-tie based bodge repair to some previously fitted poorly designed rubbish, absent mindedly calling it "ikea cr4p"

turns out it cost 400 notes from an oh-la-la place :oops:

But thats the thing, I've fitted fittings costing £600 from <premier london designer lighting store I probably shouldn't name>, then when they complain about the buzzing, replaced the internal 99p chinese transformers with decent ones :rolleyes: thing didn't look like it'd cost more than 35 notes tops from B&Q either.

The job I'm on at the moment is nearly ready for the light fittings to go up.

There are ten of them costing £5000 each :eek:

I will post a pic when they are up :D

(It's not someones house before you ask) :LOL:

I didn't even need to click the link to know what it was :LOL:

Funnily enough, I've just watched the first episode of Only Fools and Horses. Classic comedy on G.O.L.D. (why not UK Gold anymore?)

That is just as hilarious as it was all those years ago. Thanks.
And thanks to all for the excellent advice. BTW does under the floorboards count as accessible for JBs?

64000question_boardgame.jpg

That is just as hilarious as it was all those years ago. Thanks.
And thanks to all for the excellent advice. BTW does under the floorboards count as accessible for JBs?

Definition of accessible - 'Easily approached or entered.'

What about the laminate flooring which the customer lays six months later over the top of the small section of floorboard you've purposely screwed back in place along with the black permanent text noting there's a junction box underneath for lighting?

The future use of the installation should also come under consideration as laminate flooring and fitted furniture is a real possibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back