Happy St Georges Day!

Sponsored Links
Was he English then? And was his name George?

Your M-i-L?? ;)

Had a Church Parade with the Scouts yesterday: that was fun in the rain...

Sponsored Links
Some may not know that St George is also the patron saint of Moscow, there is a huge statue/ monument of him slaying the dragon on a huge plaza over there...

Anyway, Happy St Georges day, you may raise a beer or a vodka...

some knowledge...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George's_Day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George_and_the_Dragon

theRose.jpg

england-flag-pic-rex-361150275.jpg

A bunch of EDL idiots tried to 'celebrate' with a so called 'march for england' a day early near here...

Luckily they were shown the error of their ways...lol

It is known to celebrate up to 5 days in advance.

How did you show then their error?
( Another thread would be good).

Ta

Thanks Di'. When I mentioned this in work the response I got was, "Oh yeah. Why don't we get the day off?" :rolleyes:

Here's to George!

I think it was generally celebrated in true English style.
No fuss with a large dose of general apathy!

I'm afraid people in general just aren't interested enough.

Perhaps if there were fewer Bank holidays this time of year it would help to have one. Although no Bank holiday is needed for St Patrick's day (here in England) to get plenty out celebrating.

Good parade in our local town on Sunday but it would be nice to see a bigger effort. HAve tried at local youth football club before but no interest beyond the usual 'When is it again?.......'

Although personally think St Alban would be a better choice, unlike George having actually been to England (was English) and was the first English martyr.

The Irony is that if StGeorge, probably a Palistinian/Syrian showed up at an EDL or BNP meeting today, he would be chucked out - being of middle eastern origin, a bit dark and non english speaking. He probably would need a work permit or visa unless he was seeking asylum !

Also would not have to share him with Georgia, Egypt, Bulgaria, Aragon, Catalonia, Romania, Ethiopia, Greece, India, Iraq, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Serbia, Ukraine and Russia, as well as the cities of Genoa, Amersfoort, Beirut, Botoşani, Drobeta Turnu-Severin, Timişoara, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Kumanovo, Ljubljana, Pomorie, Preston, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lod, Lviv, Barcelona, Moscow, Tamworth and the Maltese island of Gozo,

St George was a Norman invention along with the St George flag as such it has no connection with the English nation, the true flag of England is the White Dragon.

@ tosser ...

are you rather late for this years St Georges day.....................or very, very early for next years?....

Sponsored Links
Back