Hard water heating element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had oil central heating for 16 years. Not only has heating oil gone through the roof but there is no price cap like gas. I retained the immersion heating element within the tank during this this time. It still works and I'm thinking about using that instead of oil with the existing timeclock.

I'm in a hard water area. The mage shows the existing one.

1. Should I buy a new one now? If yes I'll get a plumber involved.

2. As it is hard water what should I specify?

Any advice would be appreciated.

20220312_104832_resized.jpg

Sponsored Links
It'll only really need replaced due to it being calcium upped if it's been used extensively. If it hasn't been then it should be ok but it will fur up eventually.

Only way to know though would be to drain and remove it to check.

Thanks Madrab. Good advice flameproof thanks. What thermostat would you recommend given the info in the image which is at least 16 years old?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy that's a good choice for a long term measure but I would have to drain the tank. So I am looking just for the thermostat with the Overheat Cut-Out Protection (as suggested by flameport) that the Screwfix one has. My image shows a Heatrae Superloy 800 which according to website is for aggressive water. Mine has not been used much (as manrab has said). I'll get in touch with Heatrae. Thanks to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back