Hard wood varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have made a Carrom board (a type of snooker with circular discs, popular in the middle east) and started using it but have found that the varnish on the striking area is beginning to get scuffed and scratched by finger nails. I used 3 coats of Ronseal Ultra tough Mattcoat polyurethane varnish, overlaid with 4 coats of Ronseal quick drying "diamond hard" water based varnish. I am afraid cutting fingernails will not be practical, so can anyone suggest a varnish that might give a harder surface for this activity?
Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Should not be varnished, should be oiled so it can be maintained.
Wrong section should be in woodwork?

Sponsored Links
The only coating I know that won't be marked by fingernails is Rustins two-pack lacquer: http://www.axminster.co.uk/rustins-clear-plastic-coating[/QUOTE] ANY TWO PACK EPOXY OR A G00D PU VARNISH LIKE YACHT VARNISH AS ALREADY MENTIONED WATER BASED VARNISH IS USELESS FOR WEAR BEING BASICALLY WHITE GLUE AND COLOUR PIGMENT. CRAP IT CAN'T EVEN BE POLISHED LIKE A GOOD PROPER VARNISH CAN i DON'Y KNOW WHERE FINGER NAILS COME ON A BRINELL HARDNESS SCALE BUT I DO KNOW THEY CAN MAKE AN IMPRESSION ON STEEL OVER A PERIOD OF TIME BUT THE MARKS CAN BE POLISHED OUT AGAIN nAILS ARE MADE OF KERATIN LIKE ANIMAL HOOVES AND WE KNOW WHAT A BEATING THEY CAN TAKE............OR DISH OUT. IF ALL ELSE FAILS PUT A STAINLESS STEEL PANEL IN. GOOD LUCK JOHN

Back