Hardboard over floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently laying hardboard down over floorboards ready to receive a vinyl covering (to be done by a professional this Thursday). I've done the hallway and now moving into the bathroom (tonights little project). The advice I seek is should I cut around the toilet bowl and pedastal basin or just lift them slightly and lay the hardboard directly underneath?

The toilet bowl is connected to the waste via a flexible hose arrangement so apart from unscrewing it from the floor, all I can see is a lot less intricate cutting and trimming and thus time for a few more post fitting beers:)

Any advice? Something I've overlooked?

Thanks in advance,
Jon.

Sponsored Links
Always a possibility but you need to be careful with the wall mounted cistern as they dont really have much give, if you need to raise the bowl by the thickness of your new floor then it could mean re-positioning the cistern further up the wall, best to check the brackets on the cistern and the gap between cistern and bowl to see what play you have.

Good point. In fact, what seemed like a really good idea 2 hours ago, is losing it's appeal when you think of disturbing otherwise good waste joints and of course the pipe to the cistern. I also thought that any slight movement with the hardboard around the toilet bowl might translate into a slight bubbling in time (I did the 'wet the hardboard thing' and leave it in it's final environment for a day or two) so leaving a slight gap around the base might be enough to take care of any movement.

So sod it, I'll make a paper template and cut out the hardboard.

Thanks,
Jon.

Sponsored Links
Incidentally the pedestal basin should just come away as they are not usually fixed to anything, they just provide support for the basin, well mine is. So this could be removed in order to lay the hardboard but again check the play as a tight fit could cause the basin to crack under the pressure especially taking into consideration the life it has, ie full of water, rigourously scrubbed by the missus, leaning on them whilst shaving etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back