Hardboard under carpets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old floor had hardboard put down to overcome large gaps in the boards. After a load of plumbing work I need to re-lay the hardboard. In the landing area, the hardboard was fitted up to the metal gripper strip against the bannisters.
Hardboard is 3.2mm. Come the new carpet time, some fitters say I should lay HB up to the bannisters and have the strip on top, others say up to the strip is fine.
HB laid up to the bannisters will leave the HB edge showing, which will have to be painted and will most likely look a bit rough (HB being tricky to cut nicely).
Easiest is to lay HB up to gripper strip. Does it matter, cause a problem or be noticeable?

Sponsored Links
I always laid up to the grippers. The back edge of the gripper, if visible, is better to paint than HB edges but carpet edge will probably cover the gripper edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back