Hardcore for oversite...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys and girls!

We have now got our blockwork up to dpc level and ready to do the oversite.

I’ve got lots of broken up concrete from where we took to patio up, would this be ok to use in the oversite, or are we better of with small stuff?

I’ve also got a lot of old concrete roofing tiles that can be broken up into it, which would be smaller pieces.
Then I can get some type 1 in to top it off.
I’ve got a proper walker plate too so can compact in stages.

Would this be ok?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Ok maybe I’ve wrongly used the word oversite, but it seems everyone calls it that.
The floor construction requires min of 150mm compacted sub base before DPM and concrete.

Questions as above.

Thanks.

Everyone?

Everyone calls it a floor slab if its a floor slab.

It depends how finely crushed the lumps are and whether they are clean and uncomtaminated with soil etc.

But I suspect you will end up with a load of voids and subsequent movement if not done properly.

Sponsored Links
Oversite is just concrete laid "over the site" No hard-core required.

Seemed like a perfectly good use of the word oversite to me, everyone knew exactly what he meant.

In answer to the OP, if you can break the lumps of concrete down to no bigger than 100mm diameter and have plenty of fine material to fill any voids and whack it down well you should be OK. Otherwise as Woody said if the lumps of concrete hardcore are too big and you leave gaps the new floor slab can settle and crack.

Well you understood it for starters because you answered his question.

The slab was often called the oversite back in the 60's and 70's. Foremen would tell the hoddies to bump out the oversite(slab).
Probably because the floors in the past were timber with a concrete oversite put over the ground to cover the earth and prevent any damp or plant life growing, and the term keep being used for some time.

Just for clarity, oversite is laid under timber floors. It is not a floor slab which funny enough is called a floor slab.

If you tell your concrete company to want concrete for oversite, when you wanted concrete for your floor slab, you might regret it.

You should read up on the Building Control definition of the statutory "oversite" inspection. Time to stop digging, Woody old bean.

Concrete under timber floors! Is the West Midlands really stuck in the 1950's. I should come up and visit, it sounds delightful.

You should read up on the Building Control definition of the statutory "oversite" inspection. Time to stop digging, Woody old bean.

Concrete under timber floors! Is the West Midlands really stuck in the 1950's. I should come up and visit, it sounds delightful.

We've got people on the door at Coventry. You won't get in.

Lol at using a building control inspection for trying to define a building component - which existed way before building regulations. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back