Hardcore underneath reinforced floor slab with Cellcore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On our floor slab (5.4m x 4.2m) design we have 225mm of cellcore underneath our reinforced slab (A193 50mm from bottom). The slab is thicker at the edges and rests on the inside of the foundation...so this makes it a suspended slab, right?

The design also has a layer of sand-blinded hardcore underneath the cellcore, but why?

My understanding is that the Cellcore is there to protect against ground heave (of which I think there will be none, but that's a different story) and designed to crush when an upward force is applied so that the force is not transferred to the slab. But what if the ground has already swelled up when the floor is built. When it shrinks, would there not be a void underneath the slab?

So how does the substrate affect anything? Surely the whole point of this design is that the movement of the ground does not affect that slab. So long as the ground can support the cellcore whilst the slab cures, is that not enough?

I read something from the manufacturers of cellcore that says "Cellcore should be placed on a firm level surface which will ensure uniform loading on the legs. A layer of concrete blinding will usually be necessary to achieve this condition"

So it's just to protect the legs? I think I could smooth the ground enough to take our puny residential slab.

I'm a bit confused by it, anyone got any experience/thoughts?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back