Hardie backer board HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you cut hardie backer board ? Tried scoring it and snapping it but broke up into jagged pieces. Should I just jigsaw it ?

Sponsored Links
I used it on my boat as a fireproof backing, prior to tiling, for the log burner. I cut it with a handsaw but it didn't do the saw much good. I only used cheap saws.

You can score and snap the 6mm, or angle grind the 12mm. It’s possible to jigsaw it but it’s hard work on the blades

Sponsored Links
I had 12mm hardiebacker to line my builders opening (oh err misses). Had to score with a fresh blade 8-10 times and place over a length of 2x4 and stamp on it to snap.

I've got to cut a hole in the top piece in situ to take a flue. I've read the tile cutting jigsaw blade ( the ones with no teeth but just the abrasive stuff stuck on) is the best blade for the job. Cutting this upside down will be a giggle.

I just scored it repeatedly until it was cut in half, seemed to do the trick. Messy though! I had to make quite a few holes because it was a double layer 2x12mm backing one of those wall hanging toilets so I had to deal with all the rods/pipes/buttons and a hole for access too.

I found scoring it okay but it didn't leave a very clean finish. In the end I used a jigsaw with some cheap bits and got a very good, crisp finish.

I found scoring it okay but it didn't leave a very clean finish. In the end I used a jigsaw with some cheap bits and got a very good, crisp finish.
What type of blade? Coarse or fine. Got to cut a hole myself soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back