Tile adhesive or deywall adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some hardie backer boards to be installed onto a breeze block wall and then tiled. The hardie board website says to use tile adhesive to level uneven walls when installing the boards... do you think I can use drywall adhesive instead as I have some left over?

Sponsored Links
id use tile adhesive.
you could use drywall adhesive and also secure the boards after its set with screws.

Thanks @bennymultifinish .. I think even with the tile adhesive I’m meant to also use mechanical fixings... so you also think the drywall adhesive is ok to help level the wall.

Ive had them pop when using dab adhesive, iirc their install guides suggest grab adhesive which sounds a bit cr4p

Sponsored Links
Thanks @23vc. I think the grab adhesive is ok if the walls are flat, however they recommend tile adhesive with mechanical fixings if the walls are a little uneven.

I used plasterboard adhesive when using the backer board in my fire place. screwed and plugged it to the wall first though, took it down to slap on some adhesive liberally, then screwed it back on using the screws to level it off as I went. worked very well. its clad in Indian sandstone now and hasn't had a mm of movement *touch wood* in 3.5 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back