hardstanding in a paddock

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,
We are buying a pair of semi detached houses (will convert to one eventually) and a two acre paddock. We are small holders and will be keeping some sheep, goats, pigs and poultry. The paddock goes around the sides and back of the properties gardens. We want to have some outbuildings for the animals and plan to put down hardstanding in the form of tarmac scalpings, we used these in the current property in front of two stables and it works really well.
As it is going to be in the paddock, not the garden like the current house, am I ok to just go ahead and get my scalpings down or do I need to notify anyone? They won't be the base for the sheds, just hard standing to walk about on, like a farm yard..
There aren't really any neigbours there, and the outbuildings will not be tall when they go up.. :)

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that any change of use of agricultural land requires planning permission. I wanted to put in a scalpings track on my land, but I got to about page 7 of the planning app and gave up in despair.

I would love to be proved wrong however.

Sponsored Links
Well, its for livestock, not horses, so it isn't actually changing the use. It is a two acre field of grass, so it's aleady either a pony paddock or grazing land for other livestock. Need to check but it has a big hawthorn hedge round it and no near neighbours. I doubt anyone would complain whatever we do, but would "prefer" to work within the law... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back