Hardwax oil (Woodyoulike) help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
currently doing kids playroom at the moment and have bought a solid oak floor (20mm, T&G, bevelled edges, unfinished). The builders will lay it but I want to do the finishing myself so it can be done once they have left and all the dust has settled.

Having reviewed here and Woodyoulike's site I have decided to use Osma hardwax oil, and have found a couple of suppliers locally.

I know I have to apply it thinly for the first coat and then get the second down within 8-24 hrs. I was just wondering are there any useful hints that are not on the application instructions? Options are given on the application method but which is the best, what's the best tool for the between coat buffing?. The room is 4mx10m, so the easier the better, although I know that the best finish and ease are mutually incompatible.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi NicG2

HardWaxOil is very easy to apply, you can use a brush (like the one you use for wall paper 'wetting'), or a non-fluffy cloth and even a paint-roller (non-fluffy again).

Apply thins and evenly, take your time, no need to rush and go 'with the boards' if you know what I mean to get the best streakles result. Any excess HWO can be remove with the cloth you use for 'buffing it in' which also makes it spread out even more evenly.

Wiat until the first layer is dry (depending on temperature and humidity this takes between 8 and 12 hours normally).
Apply the second coat not later than 36 - 48 hours in the same way.

After that is dried (again 8 - 12 hours) you can carfeully place back furniture. Rugs you can place back after 10 DAYS!.
If the scond coat dries up a little bit blotchy, don't apply a third layer, but try buffing with wax-polish (maintenance product), that will result in a better result.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back