1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardwood decking damaged, what to do?

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Arwyn82, 22 Jul 2018.

Tags:
  1. Arwyn82

Arwyn82

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    FD152B45-6984-4E7F-9A20-542CF6475A7D.jpeg I had around 16m2 of balau hardwood decking delivered Friday from woodandbeyond. Lovely stuff but I’ve noticed that some ends are all splintered where it’s been cut to length. Also around 4 lengths are badly twisted and bowed and so unusable.

I contacted them to advise and sent pictures. They’ve offered compensation amounting to 1m2 back which works out around £40.

I’ll have to cut the splintered ends off the pieces that are affected (around 70% of the boards) and hope that there’s now enough to finish the job.

But what would you accept as compensation, £40 seams a bit low to me considering the extra work I now have to do and the risk I may not have enough and have to order more as a result? I paid £670 £50 of which was delivery

Attached Files:

2. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    in your pic, the splintering appears to be on the underside of the boards, which doesn't show. You could smooth them off with a surform.

depending on the built dimensions of your deck, and the uncut length of the boards, you may have to cut or trim quite a few of them, and can cut off damaged ends at that point.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Arwyn82

Arwyn82

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The smooth side is the side I’ll be using face up so would be on show, couldn’t really sand the edges down. Would have to be cut properly to give a clean edge.

5. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's a risk you take ordering rather than picking up.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links