Hardwood external double door advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my garage rebuild I want double hardwood doors at the back opening outwards into the rear garden.

Silly question but do these have to be made specially or can a chippy just use a pair of single doors with a blanking plate for security & weatherproofing? Got a builder comin around to quote tonight and want to know roughly whats practical just in case.

PS - I'm avoiding going with a uPVC door and frame as I want a low or flat threshold.

Sponsored Links
Normally double door sets come with opposite hand checked meeting stiles, however a pair of suitable, ordinary doors, fitted with a slamming/meeting plate screwed to the immobilised door will do it. Metal is probably best, as it can be unobtrusive (thin) and still have strength should the other door slam shut...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back