Hardwood or composite (GPR) front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an ugly old uPVC front door that we want to replace. The outside measurement of the frame is 1m wide, so it's probably too wide to get an off-the-shelf door. Looks like we'll probably have to have it specially made.

Ideally we'd like to paint the door so we can choose the exact colour we want. Was thinking of hardwood. Had one quote of about £800 fitted.

Another company from Tewksbury have said a GPR/composite door would be a more economical option, at about 60% of the price of a hardwood door (though I don't know yet what their hardwood door quote is going to be!). Only thing is, they seem to have a very limited range of colours. I've read that you can paint a GPR door, but I'm wondering how easy it is to get a good finish. Would it be more sensible to go with the wood option, given that we'd want to paint it?

Sponsored Links
Get 3 quotes for each.
Deciding on one each is a bit silly.

I agree. I'm already getting 3 quotes. My question was more about the wisdom of buying a GRP door with a view to painting it.

Sponsored Links
Depending on the type of door you want, a metal-wood-metal sandwich is pretty good; we have a planked style back door and in eight years it has stood up fantastically well to hot sunshine alternating with wind blown rain. It is strong and stable and seems very secure; the weakest point is certainly the lock rebate in the frame. I reckon this would go well in your existing frame too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back