Hardwood Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend laying a hardwood T&G floor over my present floating subfloor(weyroc + 2" of polystyrene over concrete base). I am thinking of gluing the T&G to the weyroc so that it all floats. I thought of using a PU adhesive for it's quick curing time. I am not going to put any adhesive in the T&G. Is this the best way, and can you recommend a suitable adhesive. I will be removing,trimming and replacing the skirting. I would prefer to 'butter' each individual board rather than spread adhesive over a large area of floor and then have to work quicker than I may want to. Please advise.

Sponsored Links
ye that sounds o.k but you must over plywood first! I think you would be safer laying floating tho with that kind of subfloor. Or fit engineered real wood flooring instead.

Thanks for that info. I don't understand why I need to intall plywood over the chipboard though. Also I thought I might have problems if I installed one floating floor on top of another, so I thought by gluing it down it would all float as one floor. If I install it as a floating floor what sort of underlay would I need? Why would an engineered real wood floor be a better option?

The subfloor you want to fit onto expands at a different rate to the wood floor you want to fit on top. Seen a couple of jobs where the real wood on top has grown and pulled the joints of the chipboard apart. This will cause the floor to fail. Hence we say to plywood over the top to give better strength. You also should not glue or nail to any chipboard subfloors for other reasons as well.
The reason why i say use engineered wood is because it looks the same as solid wood but is a much more stable product.
The other problem with glueing a solid to a floating subfloor is if we have a period of high of low humidity it can grow or shrink faster and more than the subfloor. Basically the one floor will be bigger than the other and as they are bonded together, they will try to lift off the ground leaving you with a bridge.
You can fit a solid onto a floating floor but you need to maintain the humidity of the area.
So if you do want a solid wood floor i would look into floating method.

Sponsored Links
I can now see the logic of not gluing, I think I was convinced by the everbuild product (pdq 550) which claims to allow movement between floor and subfloor. What is the best type of underlay and glue for the t&g. Does it have to be pvac or is pva ok. I appreciate your advise, thanks a lot.

goggle ' wood you like ' . Have a good read of there website. (loads of basic and easy to read info). Read up and become a knowledge guru.! All your basic stuff for fitting a floor and choosing your correct underlay will be found here. Any extra info needed then get back to me. Feed back would be nice on how you find the site.

Yes it's great site. I've noticed that PVAC is the recommended adhesive for T&G. I've got Evostik PVA (outdoor) is this ok, also I've found an ev erbuild product No 502 which is an'all purpose weatherproof wood adhesive,resin based'. is this as good as PVAC, we don't always have access to these products in the 'far north' (cumbria).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back