Hardwood garden furniture.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my garden furniture is a couple of years old now,but still solid,however 'er indoors insisted a couple of years ago that i paint them in "garden shades" paint,which is orangy in colour.This has now weathered a lot peeling slightly and looks unsightly.I have a lot of Dark oak fence paint,do you think this would be ok on furniture,after sanding back a bit? Was also planning on a couple of coats of varnish on top to protect it a bit longer. Do you guys'n'gals think this would work? We get a lot of damp and cold weather here in darkest Lancashire,and just trying to prolong the life of the furniture and my pocket. :LOL: :LOL:
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would probably work if it is yacht varnish.

joe,thanks should have said.I have 3 tins(2.5) litres of Dulux trade int&ext solvent based varnish.2 are dark ebony i think and a clear one,picked up cheap£10 for all 3 :LOL: :LOL: i intended mixing all 3 together couple coats on furniture and couple on my new shed (when i get it!!) Do you still think it will work? nought much lost if not, only my time :rolleyes:
Cheers

Sponsored Links
To be honest Yacht varnish will not last outside on hardwood furniture. This was used before the micro porus stains were used and although more elastic than an internal polyurethene varnish still never lasted when open to the elements. Much better after the prep has been done to use a sikkens or sadolin type woodstain. Even the good old Ronseal " does what it says on the tin" wont be good enough to last as water based products tend to be hard and will not move with the wood as it expands and contracts in the sunlight.

The furniture will be damp if its surface has peeled any varnish will blow as the furniture drys over summer, a good teak or danish oil is a far better option as it feeds the timber.Fence treatment is totally unsuitable due to the chemicals used in it which you don't want to come in contact with.
If you want to darken you can add wood dye to oil before applying, colour will weaken according to mix ratio.

I got down to cleaning my garden furniture for the first time this year. It really needed it; there was mould growing on it and it was in a real mess.

A good scrub-up and it looked great. It had lost the orange colour that I’m not keen on and gone a lovely dark gray.

I then drenched it in some left over floor oil (clear).

Whether this is the right, or wrong product it looks good.

Therms

Hi fox thanks for reply,but sorry to late,was the cry! Already coated x2 with dark oak fence paint and then x2 sadolin light stain varnish(exterior) will have to see what happens,not ideal i know,but better than nought! :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back