Hardwood or softwood for Edwardian porch

What about meranti? A bit cheaper than accoya

Sponsored Links
When I do external joinery, where possible and if exposed, I'll use tanalised treated timber and plane/sand it to receive the paint or if feasible stain. It does not tend to move to the extremes that untreated may.

However properly coated softwood should not move too much and should be stable as the coating prevents extremes of moisture content.

@^woody^ I have to say I have made a good few doors windows and gates over my many years in softwood. Despite soaking them in various treatments, and sometimes using pre-treated timber, I have never got anywhere near the same stability that I have now I have switched to Accoya for recent projects.

Doors and windows I have made in the last 3-4 years just have not moved. I can construct them with tiny clearances, and they do not bind! Yes, it's expensive, but on the upside is easy to machine and work with (except it is a little brittle, so care with spelch blocks is always needed).

Next time you are making something, give it a try - you might become a convert like me :)

What about meranti? A bit cheaper than accoya

Meranti is still "wood". To all intents Accoya no longer is. The process involves changing the chemical compounds in the raw timber into something else that doesn't occur naturally in nature. https://www.accoya.com/uk/acetylation-what-is-it-and-what-is-acetylated-wood/

@^woody^ I have to say I have made a good few doors windows and gates over my many years in softwood. Despite soaking them in various treatments, and sometimes using pre-treated timber, I have never got anywhere near the same stability that I have now I have switched to Accoya for recent projects.

Doors and windows I have made in the last 3-4 years just have not moved. I can construct them with tiny clearances, and they do not bind! Yes, it's expensive, but on the upside is easy to machine and work with (except it is a little brittle, so care with spelch blocks is always needed).

Next time you are making something, give it a try - you might become a convert like me :)

Meranti is still "wood". To all intents Accoya no longer is. The process involves changing the chemical compounds in the raw timber into something else that doesn't occur naturally in nature. https://www.accoya.com/uk/acetylation-what-is-it-and-what-is-acetylated-wood/
What do you think of my idea of softwood posts with accoya skirting around base of post. You can see photo at start of thread for how the posts sit on the raised plinth

Sponsored Links
If I was going to reproduce that porch I would 100% do it all in Accoya and get the brackets laser cut in Tricoya. Do it once to last (unless you intend to move in <3 years when you could go the cheap route......)

What do you think of my idea of softwood posts with accoya skirting around base of post. You can see photo at start of thread for how the posts sit on the raised plinth
The main risks with any timber is damp to the end grain.
This translates to the joints (which may open letting water in) vertical timber (rain running down and soaking in to end gain), connection with damp materials (the concrete base) and splash back from the ground (200mm above ground or base)

If you deal appropriately with those risks, and then ensure regular maintenance, then I can't see why softwood would not be a suitable material. Yes softwood may well be less forgiving if you don't but in principle there should be no issues for many, many years if you do.

So a DPC at the base joint (or a slight gap), treat endgrain, well made joints and a good coating to all surfaces prior to installation and then regular recoating afterwards would be enough.

The likes of Accoya, along with many other "modern alternative" materials or systems are intended to make up for a lack of skill/time nowadays and to be more forgiving - which could translate to longer life if misused/abused. OK there may be some commercial decisions if someone decided to use such materials for customers, but the often hefty price tag for such products may not be justified when the time, skill and care is available for traditional materials.

And softwood does not mean knotty pine, there is Hemlock which is more stable and no/few knots

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back