Has anybody seen anything like this before

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my walls recently skimmed, put a mist coat on then 2 coats of dulux vinyl matt emulsion on, about a month later, damp marks started coming through. the picture with the hole is where the waste pipe is boxed in, i cut a hole to check for leaks and everything is dry?? so a bit confused. the other picture is of a internal wall, There must be moisture present on both sections. as when i put an electric heater on the marks it disappears but reappears within a few hours. im not exactly sure if it is damp as there are dry spots in the middle of the patches. the skim was left to dry for about a month so dont think its that, anyone have any ideas???? View media item 36444 View media item 36445

Sponsored Links
A month is more than enough for a skim coat to dry out, have you checked the exterior of the property for damp areas, guttering perhaps, it really does sound rather strange. Try posting this on the Builders forum they may be able to shine some light on it.

Dec

ive also tried putting zinnser bin on it then re emulsioned over it and again same marks appear, so that rules out stains of any kind

Sponsored Links
Well I am no plasterer but I doubt this has anything to do with the skim, I would tend to think that there must be an ingress of moisture coming from somewhere.

Dec

hi, no its a boxed in waste pipe, boxed in with wood then plasterboard then plaster, i thought it might need vented so cut the hole to check for water ingress and everything dry. but marks are still visable with the vent. the other wall has exactly the same type of patches on it and that is a solid internal wall (joined to the gable end) so think that rules out the venting option too??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back