How long should I wait after a mist coat before painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had our bathroom done and two of the the walls skimmed. Once the plaster was dry I went over it with a mist coat of vinyl matt emulsion - I used 1 part water to between 3 and 4 parts paint. Once that was dry I went over with another mist coat of a similar mix.

The paint seems to be sticking well, it's drying nice and smooth. I just want to know how long I should wait before I can start in with the final paint? Cheers

Sponsored Links
As soon as it's dry, 1-4 hours.

One more question for you Paul - this is my first time painting onto fresh plaster, I'm a bit paranoid that I might've not made my mist coat mix wet enough. Is there any way of telling whether that's the case straight away, or is it just a matter of painting with the final coat and waiting to see if bumps or peeling appear down the line?

Sponsored Links
I normally go for about 50/50 mix, with good quality paint, or with B&Q type stuff 2/1 (paint/water).

As long as the paint is well adhered to the wall it should be OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back