1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How long should I wait after a mist coat before painting?

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by shngrdnr, 30 Jan 2014.

1. shngrdnr

shngrdnr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We've just had our bathroom done and two of the the walls skimmed. Once the plaster was dry I went over it with a mist coat of vinyl matt emulsion - I used 1 part water to between 3 and 4 parts paint. Once that was dry I went over with another mist coat of a similar mix.

The paint seems to be sticking well, it's drying nice and smooth. I just want to know how long I should wait before I can start in with the final paint? Cheers

2. xr4x4

xr4x4

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As soon as it's dry, 1-4 hours.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. shngrdnr

shngrdnr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cheers Paul

5. shngrdnr

shngrdnr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One more question for you Paul - this is my first time painting onto fresh plaster, I'm a bit paranoid that I might've not made my mist coat mix wet enough. Is there any way of telling whether that's the case straight away, or is it just a matter of painting with the final coat and waiting to see if bumps or peeling appear down the line?

6. Sponsored Links
  7. phatboy

phatboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I normally go for about 50/50 mix, with good quality paint, or with B&Q type stuff 2/1 (paint/water).

As long as the paint is well adhered to the wall it should be OK.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local