Has my roofer done a good job of replacing my flat roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Whilst having my dormer re-cladded, I realised the dormer's flat roof probably needed replacing too. So I called out a local roofer and he said the flat roof was indeed knackered. He also pointed out how it slope backwards slightly (towards the roof slates), rather than sloping forwards slightly - an issue which he said he would rectify. (He also pointed out that when the re-cladding is done (by someone else) they should insulate it with proper insulation, instead of the polystyrene sheets that were currently being used.)

So he ripped off the old flat roof yesterday, before starting to lay the new roof (rubber). I noticed that the roof was still using the same old (and think) polystyrene sheets as the insulation. I queried him about this, and he said it was fine because the roofing boards (plywood) would provide plenty of insulation. Q1. Was that bull crap?

After he finished, I went up to check his work. After tidying up all the mess that was left on the slates, I threw a couple of buckets of water over the new flat roof... I noticed that on the left side of the roof, the water ran forwards, as intended. However, on the right hand side of the roof, the water ran backwards (as it did before, which had caused water to collect which resulted in a rotten timber (now replaced)). Of the water that did run forwards (assisted by me swishing it with my hand), none of it ran into the gutter (which has recently been added to the front side of the dormer), but the water just dropped from the front corners of the dormer roof, down onto the roof slates below. I also noticed that I was left with a big puddle (about 1 meter diameter) in the middle of the flat roof that wasn't going anywhere. Q2. Are all these things I have observed unacceptable, and should I demand he put them right?

Whilst up there, I also noticed that he or his colleague had also crushed the bottom side of one of my roof slates. I'm not sure how far up it is cracked as I didn't want to disturb it. Q3. Should he replace this slate?

Q4. Does his work comply with the building regulations?

I haven't paid him yet, and he's due back today, so I just wanted to get some input from people in the know about what stance I should take? And should I ask for a certificate or anything like that for the work done, or is a receipt enough?

Update: I've just called my local council Building Regulations about all this and someone technical is going to call me back later, with a view to possibly coming out to view the flat roof, but is that generally a bad idea - i.e., could their assessment potentially cause more problems than it's worth?

Thanks in advance.

PS - The new roof is rubber.

Sponsored Links
The roof seems very substandard.
You cannot rely only on just plywood for insulating the roof.
There should be a sufficient fall to avoid ponding.

You might have opened a can of worms by contacting the council, though.

Ponding is fine on a rubber roof, don't worry about that. Still he did say he was going to fall the roof the other way which it seems by what you say he hasn't done that. Sometimes you can have a fall on the joists and it still pools in the middle, that's because the actual structure itself dips in the middle.

The bit about the plywood insulating is a bit sloblocks but technically there is an element of insulation there.

What is the size of the roof and what did you pay? (Location)
If you are convinced he broke the tile then yes he needs to replace it.

Thanks for the replies. The roof is about 5m by 4m. I was quoted £1,000, but I haven't paid him yet.

I've had a couple of independent roofers out and they pointed out a few other things and both said they would be embarrassed/ashamed about doing the job like he's done.

My dilemma is whether to throw him off the job or give him another chance. If the latter, I'm going to email him today so we have it in writing.

Sponsored Links
Insulation value of plywood is negligible, he's either clueless or having you on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back