Has this EPDM rubber been laid correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a flat roof balcony 7.5metres x 1.1m laid with EPDM.

I was under the impression that EPDM is laid as one whole sheet - however this installer has spliced 5 or 6 pieces together to cover the balcony. There is a little pooling which seems to be enhanced by the ridges from the splicing.

Im no expert but my mind would say splicing can only lead to problems with leaks in the future as opposed to using one whole sheet through out?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It can be joined, Im not sure 5 or 6 pieces would be normal, sounds like he has used offcuts.

I dont know if you could a piece 7.5m x 1.1 without buying a big roll, Id expect it to have 1 join.

Sometimes its joined when you buy it.

I expect a pro roofing guy will be along to correct me o_O

My supplier has a 7.5m roll and I would not join bit
together just for my convenience.

Sponsored Links
I can't give you a definite answer to that question
but can it be as good as one piece, I can't see it
personally.

The stuff can be jointed but it won't look as pretty as a single piece and I suspect if you use the proper jointing material it is more expensive than using a single piece (though if the contractor has a load of paid-for offcuts from previous jobs then your balcony might be a classic 'got some tarmac left over missus, we'll do your drive real cheap' type effort. Did you pay top rate for the job or was it a cheapest quote wins? Any warranty offered?

You could glue lots of little pieces together to cover a roof, but that would not be correct nor to the manufacturers certified installation. However, properly made, the joints will last as long as the rest of the roof.

He has used off-cuts from his last jobs to cover this roof at no cost for the sheet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back