Has this got a seal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Been sorting out a new sink, while doing found a healthy leak hidden away. I really dont want to mess with the soil pipe (stack?) but noticed there is no seal on the female attachment socket where the sink waste pipe goes in. Assuming there is one usually?

Hence you can see I have silicon'ed and it has stopped leaking for now. It was leaking when the toilet was flush or any upstairs stuff used (eww). It has leaked years before, and done the sort of same thing but I think as soon as sink pipe is disturbed etc.. it will go again.

Whats a good way to sort this out permanently? thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20180714_125549.jpg
    20180714_125549.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 20180714_125558.jpg
    20180714_125558.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry to say that covering it in silicone has made the job harder, yes there would of been a Black rubber seal there and I guess over time the crud has built up and distorted it hence the leak. Look again for the seal and if you find it wash it clean with soapy water then start again with new section of pipe.

it seemed empty when i checked. I guess i need an exact same version to clean the inside and reinsert new, or is there a better way to seal it?

I can get the silicon off if need be. I was thinking of a rubber seal like in the compression waste fittings but then this would probably not be tight enough? I couldn't see the exact same version of the soil stack joint in the local wickes or could get an exact seal from inside one of them or something.

Pretty hard to get a replacement seal for it.

That's a 40mm push fit socket that would have an O-ring that sits inside a grove in the boss. Was probably pushed out when fitted. You probably won't get just the seal for it.

Easiest way may be just to cut that boss off tight to the pipe to leave an oval and then use a solvent weld strap on boss over the hole that's left. Then a new piece of 40mm pipe to re-connect the waste.

Sponsored Links
yeh i get you I think, ive seen them. I still hasnt leaked since i plastered it in silicon but its only matter of time I think :(

TBH though, if you've covered it in silicone and it doesn't move in the future it could last for years like that. It is a bodge tho ;)

yep :(
If i rammed a pipe in with weld adhesive on I assume it wouldnt work as its probably not tight enough? Or maybe take pipe out (if it leaks) and put LOTS (well all around it) of silicon on it and put it back on.. frustrating

Last edited:
If it's a push fit pipe then it may not be a suitable material to solvent weld anyway.

If you want to do a bodge that'll may last, then strip that silicone off, clean back the pipework and then use a waterproof silicone adhesive (wet grab, serious stuff, etc) and create a cone around the fitting pushing it into the gaps around the pipe and fitting, leave to dry for 24hrs and it'll set like rubber. I find it useful when I come across old lead outfalls set into 2 1/2"cast that are in a place where it can't be cut out and replaced. The trick is make it as clean and dry as possible ...oh and wear a pair of gloves.

yeh.. sounds good ill have a go tommorow. Im a bit concerned as when the fridge goes back in you cant see any of it and I know what will likely happen then :( thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back