Has this happened to you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a knock on the door the other day.Bloke stood there said you're a gas safe fitter aren't you? I said yes and showed him my card.Right then he said how do I get to put gas into my caravan ? I replied I could do it in a weeks time,to which he replied No I'm going to do it I just want you to tell me how,so I told him I won't tell you cos I can get into trouble for doing it .Then it started he went apecrap called me all the names you could think of and finally started threatening me that he was gonna rip my throat out. I told himi was calling the police at which point he grabbed me and at which point he sailed over my shoulder and landed like a sack of squishy stuff on the pavement police came and I told them what happened was told I was lucky not to be nicked as I had thrown him on to the floor. You couldn't make it up he grabs me and I could get done for refusing to help him break the law, what's your thoughts boys.Bob

Sponsored Links
You must have goaded him into grabbing you. If he sailed over your shoulder and was seriously injured then that's your fault and you could be prosecuted.
Do you have a history in fighting and sticking your horns out?
If you're a trained fighter then your case is considerably weakened in such scenarios.
Next time just say, "I'm terribly sorry but I'm not at will to disclose that information as its against the law and your safety comes first.."
And advise him to use a qualified operative or alternatively advise him to use another method of heating which isn't so strictly regulated.
And there are many.

The moment he touched you, you had a case against him for assault.
I had a neighbour once who verbally abuse me. I went to the police and they told me I had a case to take a restraining order out against him. However I declined and gave him a second chance on the polices word that they would pay him a visit and explain what was happening. The police did just that.
Never had any trouble since.

Last edited:
Do you have gypsies on the Isle of Lewis?

Did not see any when I worked there!

It's a clown who thinks he's the boss of everyone and he grabbed me I've been taught who to defend myself so I did and I've talked to my neighbour who saw it and he said it's been a long time coming
so I don't feel too bad I've gone through life and laid hands on no one unless they've put hands on me first so I'm in the clear

Sponsored Links
He may well have deserved that, but then Oil would have been done for assault. I'm going to say well done Oil, as while it might have been more diplomatic to say you've never done that sort of work, so can't help him, sometimes you've got to fight fire with fire. The police are all too happy to tackle the obvious assault, and not the one who started the problem, and it's a shame that they didn't interview you're neghbour, and take more apropriate action.

There's some b0llocks here. If someone fronts you at your own door then puts his hands on you he deserves what he gets. After all he told you he was going to stab you and you saw him trying to get something out of his pocket. You felt threatened and that he was going to continue his unprovoked assault and you defended yourself.

Far better to explain it to the judge then explain it to the doctors when you come round - if you come round ;)

This all seems so out of keeping with the personalities I met when I was working in that area. But it was some while ago and perhaps things have changed.

I also thought the police pretty much knew all the problem people there.

Mate there's a lot changed since I came up here I've had stuff pinched out me van there's oil theft
Stornoway ain't to place to be after dark in some places, but on the whole it's ok and my customers are fine but there are a few odd ones

It doesn't matter where you live, there's always one or two that shouldn't be 'in the community': but with the current legislation and laws they just 'are'!
I also never go looking for trouble, but sometimes it comes looking for you... and the law will be hard pressed, IMO, to dismiss the fact that this happened on your doorstep, not his! He was the trespasser.

I would have thought that, going by your description, it was self defence.

In the good old days, that was a perfectly acceptable thing to do. Unfortunately, these days it seems that self defence is often not acceptable and the usual thing is for the innocent party to be the one prosecuted. God knows why.

Don't do anything and let the instigator thump you, you go to hospital, the instigator might be visited by the police and, even assuming they are prosecuted, they'll end up with a caution or a suspended sentence.

It's a no-win situation, and it's disgusting in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back