No gassafe registration and/or warranty !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I called the number on my new vaillant 831 boiler today to activate my warranty. Vaillant told me that it is my vaillant approved installers job to activate a 5 year warranty and that I cant do it. Just to check, I asked them if it had been registered by the approved installer and they took my address and said it had not!

Vaillant told me that once he notifys them of its installation I will receive a warranty pack in the post. I called the installer and he said that vaillant told me the wrong information and I will not receive anything in the post at all and he doesnt need to do anything.

He is gassafe registered and a vaillant approved installer. The boiler was installed almost a month ago.

The installer also told me some time ago that he had registered the boiler with gassafe. As I have not received a certificate and was spooked by the fact vaillant didnt have a record of my boiler, I rang gassafe who also told me that the boiler had not been registered with them!

I asked the installer what was going on he was really ****ed off I had checked up on things. He now says that he registers the installations after he receives payment and that he gives me the certificate when I pay. Is this normal?

I have been chasing him for a bill for ages. He says they found a gas leak on the first day which tye had to fix - this will be an additional cost on top of the 'estimate' he gave me before he started the job. Obviously I cant pay him until I know how much he wants.

Average cost of finding and fixing a gas leak in an area that is open to inspection?

Hope some of you guys can help with this - what's going on and what is reasonable for me to ask him to do before paying?

Thanks,

Greg

Sponsored Links
So you haven't paid him yet?
So no wonder he hasn't registered anything.

I wouldn't register anything either until I was paid.
If he hasn't sent you a bill yet don't worry.

He does however sound a little evasive.

So you haven't paid him yet?
So no wonder he hasn't registered anything.

I wouldn't register anything either until I was paid.
If he hasn't sent you a bill yet don't worry.

He does however sound a little evasive.

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I see your point about not registering until being paid. That would not be an issue with me if he hadnt previously assured me that it had been registered.

Any thoughts on the vaillant warranty or the price of finding and fixing the gas leak?

Sponsored Links
For the gas leak it depends where it was.
If it they has to spend time searching for it underfloor boards and the
like then it would be more expensive but very much depends where
it was.
Chances are it was something like a cooker connection or gas fire connection
in which case those are quick and easy to find or should have been.

But if the guy isn't billing you then you are sitting pretty. Free boiler.
If he took 2 months to bill you let him wait 2 months for payment.
My customers get bill handed to them as I finish the job. Job done.

thanks for replying. The reason I was worried about the warranty was that vaillant told me he has a month from installation to register it. The boiler was installed on 26/3/2012 (says this on benchmark sheet) so the month is almost up.

I think he needs to get a move on with his bill if he only registers installations after he is paid. Especially if I lose my warranty because of it (would that ever happen???)

Greg

Right just to clarify things, Vaillant withdrew the general 5 year warranty in January it's now only 2 years for normal installers. Vaillant approved installers can give 5 year warranty,BUT this is not done through normal channels ie the card in the box or sticker on the boiler, these call centre help lines will not know of the warranty registration as this goes through home serve process, .
The installer has to register either online or through his reg cards that only he will have. And I wouldn't send you the cert until I'd been paid

. And I wouldn't send you the cert until I'd been paid[/quote]

How does the OP stand,now that he has spoken to vaillant. Will the installer have a problem registering after the month is up?. To be fair to the OP, he can't pay until he is given a bill!

I wonder if the contract to supply and insrtall the boiler, explicity or implicity, included notification and the guarantee?

Maybe the boiler was registered at the installers address , don't blame him if this were the case.

Why should we bend over backwards to notify these boilers only to find the info is sold on to a third party to which they contact the homeowner for any future servicing/breakdown cover.

I agree with not registering until paid.

But you need an invoice to pay!

I suggest you write him a 'nice' letter asking for an invoice and expressing your concern about registration.

If you emailed me your draft I would suggest any amendments.

Unfortunately the manufacturers list these approved installers but dont get involved when things go wrong.

I would also phone him to see what is his problem if you liked.

Tony

Not for the Vaillant Advantage scheme, installer does it. If customer registers warranty, they only get 2 yrs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back