Hate Crime Incident

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
There is a load of history involved in those things. Saying they're just a toy ignores that history and means you miss the point.

After all throwing a banana to a black footballer is just giving them a healthy snack and has no racial connotations at all, right?

It feels like an overreaction to me, but the landlady doesn't come across well in interviews.

It feels like an overreaction to me, but the landlady doesn't come across well in ininterviews.
Those whiter-than-white Essex couple knew EXACTLY what they were doing when they put those golliwogs on display.
Attention seeking at its worst. They'll be putting 'Trump fans welcome' flyers up next, whilst holding up their hands in mock exasperation.

Sponsored Links
It would be interesting to know, from a business perspective, what percentage of their regular (or semi-regular) customers find them offensive and indeed passing trade. I suspect it has to be a minority, otherwise you'd think it would make sense to remove them, unless they ultimately don't care if the business survives.

Please don't start jumping down my throat re it's their right to display them etc etc, I'm referring to this purely from a business perspective.
I should've posted the link...

Tony Daly, who manages a nearby charity shop, said the dolls made his “blood boil” and said he was shocked they had been on display in such a diverse area.

He also plans to confront Ryley over the issue. He said: “I find them very offensive and I’ll be going there to peacefully put my point across and to educate her. I grew up in Tottenham in the 70s when we fought against those kind of things. They used to call black people golliwogs. It’s a racist symbol that says slavery to me and the black and white minstrels. It’s so outdated and offensive to black people.”

Ryley denied that she or her husband were racist. “I’m not a racist in any form.” She confirmed that her husband had been photographed in a T-shirt from the far-right group Britain First. She said: “I don’t think Chris is a supporter of Britain First, he was just wearing that shirt because it was convenient at the time.”

real news @theGraundia

I should've posted the link...

Tony Daly, who manages a nearby charity shop, said the dolls made his “blood boil” and said he was shocked they had been on display in such a diverse area.

He also plans to confront Ryley over the issue. He said: “I find them very offensive and I’ll be going there to peacefully put my point across and to educate her. I grew up in Tottenham in the 70s when we fought against those kind of things. They used to call black people golliwogs. It’s a racist symbol that says slavery to me and the black and white minstrels. It’s so outdated and offensive to black people.”

Ryley denied that she or her husband were racist. “I’m not a racist in any form.” She confirmed that her husband had been photographed in a T-shirt from the far-right group Britain First. She said: “I don’t think Chris is a supporter of Britain First, he was just wearing that shirt because it was convenient at the time.”

real news @theGraundia
If people vote with their feet, the couple might reassess their decision.

If people vote with their feet, the couple might reassess their decision.
The problem may be if the other lot also vote with their feet...

A recent event, locally to me - a far right group was protesting the housing of Ukrainian refugees in a small town.
The majority (if not all), of the protesters were from well outside the area.
The locals were generally accepting, or welcoming of the development (despite concerns over the lack of local services).
...they fought back in the best way possible, by baking Welsh Cakes :)

Apparently the husband was photographed wearing a Britain first t-shirt. But apparently he was just wearing it because it was convenient. Which ignored the fact that he bought it in the first place.

Yeah, no racial issues at all here

Yeah I think the 'they used to hang them' comment no doubt meant in a jovial way tells you all you need to know about this couple. As I say, depending on how many people decide to drink elsewhere, they might just come to regret it.

It's miles off that. You can't jump to a conclusion, if you are going to allege racism.

Were they ever politely asked to take them down to avoid causing offence?

They absolutely can be offensive, but they can be innocent too.

If the police had concerns they could send in an undercover black officer and get him/her to buy a pint. Then an offence may occur and they can make an arrest.

"and to educate her."

Now we're getting to the crux of the matter. Libertards thinking only their narrow views and opinions are valid, and anyone right of centre needs brainwashing.

Also nothing wrong with the husband wearing a Britain's First t-shirt. He's a patriot and if there were more of them, The UK wouldn't have ghettoes where violent gang crime flourishes and swarms who hate us sneaking in for a life on the taxpayer.

Now we're getting to the crux of the matter. Libertards thinking only their narrow views and opinions are valid, and anyone right of centre needs brainwashing.

Also nothing wrong with the husband wearing a Britain's First t-shirt. He's a patriot and if there were more of them, The UK wouldn't have ghettoes where violent gang crime flourishes and swarms who hate us sneaking in for a life on the taxpayer.
Not really. It's about seeing things from the other side and their point of view.
Hanging Golliwogs in imitation of events in the Southern States of America has a direct connection to racism, i'd say.

There's nothing wrong with golliwogs, it's all faux outrage. There are plenty of jolly, comical white-skinned dolls but nobody bothers about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back