Hate Crime Incident

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
You should have seen what I did to my sisters Barbie's when I was a kid, does that make me a misogynist ?
Does your family have a history of murdering female members by hanging?

That's a pretty crap analogy.

Sponsored Links
I'm usually at the front of the queue for getting annoyed by wokery. But golliwogs always were racist from day one, they are definitely distasteful at best, and the photo of them behind the bar shows that they looked like they were hanging, which is provocative in itself.

Who knows whether it's a criminal matter though. It would be better if people just weren't offensive dicks in the first place, but sadly we live in a world where if it's not illegal then some think it's fine, so the police end up in these sort of tricky positions where there would be complaints whatever they did or didn't do.

A pub where golliwog dolls were seized by police should not be considered for "future awards or inclusion in our Good Beer Guide", the Campaign for Real Ale (Camra) said.

Camra said it found it "baffling" that the White Hart Inn, in Grays, Essex, chose to display the "offensive" dolls.

The backlash has begun @theBBC.co.uk

If you are not a racist person, you are very unlikely to put gollywogs on display.

Some of those who do, do it in defiance, as they feel they have a right to display their opinion, without actually saying "I am a proud racist".

I'd be shocked if it turned out the pub landlord / manager was not a bit racist... even though they are denying it. Apparently, they are also against Black Lives Matter...

but hey, could just be an honest mistake, a pub landlord that was totally unaware of how the world has moved on in the last century - these pub landlords don't get out much. Nature of the job.

From reading the article, seems the owners don't use this word to describe their dolls.
Yes, they're attempting to claim they're just harmless dollies. Which is just crap.

Did they have a varied collection of other stuffed toys? It doesn't appear so, they chose to display them specifically, for some reason.

From reading the article, seems the owners don't use this word to describe their dolls.
They don't need to. I believe they called them gollies or some such. Probably just golliwogs they're interested in too. Sends the message across without having to say "no coloureds allowed".

It's defiantly ill-advised to put the warning notice on the door. That plays right in the the allegation that it is nothing more than an attempt to discourage certain people from coming in.

However, the display does not go far enough to warrant police involvement.

With the sign, in place a person could seek damaged under the equalities act, but this is not a police matter.

If they've put up a warning notice then that is essentially a "no blacks" sign. But I suppose they could say it's to warn the easily offended white people.

It would be down to a jury to decide whether this is the case.

It's a shame that a tool as blunt as the law has to be used to stop people being offensive dicks. This is why we end up with a myriad of petty laws, as you can't trust people to just behave decently so we end up banning everything.

A bit of Googling reveals this has been going on since at least 2018.
They knew what people thought about it then, and still did it anyway.

This made me chuckle:

She confirmed that her husband had been photographed in a T-shirt from the far-right group Britain First. She said: “I don’t think Chris is a supporter of Britain First, he was just wearing that shirt because it was convenient at the time.”
woke lefty linky

It is annoying, when the only clean clothes you have are the freebies you kept from the most infamous racist political party in the country.

This all highlights the problem we have in society - racism is still very much alive in many quarters, but racists know it is wrong, so just deny it, while openly behaving in a racist way.

If they've put up a warning notice then that is essentially a "no blacks" sign. But I suppose they could say it's to warn the easily offended white people.

It would be down to a jury to decide whether this is the case.

It's a shame that a tool as blunt as the law has to be used to stop people being offensive dicks. This is why we end up with a myriad of petty laws, as you can't trust people to just behave decently so we end up banning everything.
Yes its very true.

and with every petty law, we have misguided police activity.

The doll display, is in poor taste, the pub owners may well have racist beliefs. That on its own is not a police matter.

I doubt very much I could get the police to remove or ticket a car that frequently parks on my private drive/road without lawful authority. So why should they be getting involved here? Where they hoping an offence would be committed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back