Have an issue - Electrician has disappeared

That sounds promising but when I spoke to building control they said that it's not their job to do a Part P

Haha, next they'll be saying they dont want anything to do with partA, partB, etc: Part P is no different from the other parts of the building regs!!!

But just incase theres been some confusion, most domestic electrics are notifiable to them, but a domestic installer can self certify their own work as building regs compliant (thus no need to involve BC), if you are not a domestic installer you have to notify the old fashioned way (which has obviously happened in your case as you have had him down to inspect other stuff)... There is no requirement to be a DI to do electricial work

Anyhow as to whether they should be able to pass an installation without an electical certificate as defined in BS7671 is a matter of much discussion, clearly the lack of one means the install is not to BS7671 (as it requires the cert be issued!), but that inself need not be barrier, BS7671 is not a legal requirement, merely just a good idea. The problem is that if it complies to BS7671, mr building control merely has satisfy himself that it does meet that standard as he is told he does, and all is well, if its not to BS7671, he doesn't quite know what do do, he probably doesn't know how to test and inspect it himself and interpret the results!

So where does that leave you? well you somehow need to satisfy the BCO that its safe, the recommended way of going this is to get an electrician to carry out a PIR (periodic inspection report), there is no way you can get an EIC as the new electrician cant sign for design, construction and inspection+testing, and while he could sign for the third on the full form, its going to be incomplete without the signature of the designer and installer!

Hope this explains the process a little clearer :)

Sponsored Links
If you do get the cu changed a part P reg'd sparks, upon completion he will issue you with an Electrical Installation Certificate, & this will include testing of all circuits including the extension & notify the work through his governing body (niceic etc) as per Part P.
You get all the certificates you require LABC are happy with the notification.
Jobs a goodun.

Okay, that sounds like a good option! Thanks very much.

That sounds promising but when I spoke to building control they said that it's not their job to do a Part P

Haha, next they'll be saying they dont want anything to do with partA, partB, etc: Part P is no different from the other parts of the building regs!!!

But just incase theres been some confusion, most domestic electrics are notifiable to them, but a domestic installer can self certify their own work as building regs compliant (thus no need to involve BC), if you are not a domestic installer you have to notify the old fashioned way (which has obviously happened in your case as you have had him down to inspect other stuff)... There is no requirement to be a DI to do electricial work

Anyhow as to whether they should be able to pass an installation without an electical certificate as defined in BS7671 is a matter of much discussion, clearly the lack of one means the install is not to BS7671 (as it requires the cert be issued!), but that inself need not be barrier, BS7671 is not a legal requirement, merely just a good idea. The problem is that if it complies to BS7671, mr building control merely has satisfy himself that it does meet that standard as he is told he does, and all is well, if its not to BS7671, he doesn't quite know what do do, he probably doesn't know how to test and inspect it himself and interpret the results!

So where does that leave you? well you somehow need to satisfy the BCO that its safe, the recommended way of going this is to get an electrician to carry out a PIR (periodic inspection report), there is no way you can get an EIC as the new electrician cant sign for design, construction and inspection+testing, and while he could sign for the third on the full form, its going to be incomplete without the signature of the designer and installer!

Hope this explains the process a little clearer :)

Yes, thanks, that is a lot clearer. It's all so complicated :) Okay, so time to go back to building control. If all else fails then I'll get a new CU and a certificate that way.

Sponsored Links
Huntersec, I don't know about your authority and I know that they can be different, however as I am going through this process myself as an unregistered competent person, I have been looking at the rules and meking my own agreements with my local BC.

Looking at the 2006 amended part P doc, it only mentions the LABC getting certification (at their cost) for work which is done where "installers are not qualified to complete BS 7671 completion certificates".

This is the key issue if you want to force your LABC to take action. You mentioned that you gave notice to the BC as part of your overall planning & BC process. But what was your notification? Was it that the work would be done by a registered electrician?

If it was, then the LABC would be right to consider it YOUR problem that the electrician did not give you a completion cert, and you'll have to pay for a PIR to be done. This in itself would cover the whole house so really you won't need to care about the actual completion certs any more. (That's my opinion anyway unless others would like to argue).

However if your notification did not mention that the work would be done by a registered electrician, then you should be able to quote the relevant clauses in Part P and insist that they provide a completion cert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back