Have an issue - Electrician has disappeared

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I'm in a spot of bother. I've had a new extension built and have had new lighting and sockets on a new ring put in. The electrician I hired has done a bunk. The extension is finished and I'm ready to get the DS to sign it off. Unfortunately, the electrician ran off before adding some junction boxes and giving me my part p certificate. Now I'm a little suspicious that he isn't actually qualified. But I can't prove it although I wouldn't be surprised if he ran off because he knew he would be unable to certify it.

Anyway, I got a bit worried about the quality of work so an electrician came in to check everything was okay. He checked it out and said that it was fine, the work had been done well (except that a couple of the overheads weren't fireproof and they needed to be. The water mains also wasn't bonded but he fixed that and I purchased some new lights.

Here's the problem. Although he was a nice guy he said that he wouldn't certify it for me. I totally understand that but that leaves me a little stuck! I can't get sign off without a part p and I'm not sure I can find anyone to certify it for me. Although really there's very little done, because there's a new ring I guess I understand why someone wouldn't want to put their name to it. The electrician (the new one) did his tests on everything and said that it ought to pass (as his readings were fine) but that I would need to find someone else. I've now asked 3 others and all of them said no before even visiting.

So what I'm after is some advice. Am I totally screwed?! Do I have any options? I guess I could get the whole thing re-wired (which I presume someone would be willing to do and then sign off their own work)?

I don't really mind how much it costs, I just need to get it done. Would it be worth getting someone to take all the electrics out and start again or is there a better option?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Explain the situation to your BCO & ask what their requirements are in this situation, I would think that for a fee, they will arrange inspection & certification, but it seems to vary widely from council to council.

Explain the situation to your BCO & ask what their requirements are in this situation, I would think that for a fee, they will arrange inspection & certification, but it seems to vary widely from council to council.

Okay, great. I was thinking of contacting him but then I got worried that it might all tumble down on me if he found out :) I don't want to be dishonest, if anything I'd be happy with a total re-wire to do it the right way but at the same time, I don't want to land myself in it! I imagined that he would tell me to re-build the extension or something :)

Another question, the original electrician that did a bunk, I'd like to report him or at least find out if he is qualified. Where would be the best place to do that? I have his name but unfortunately he changed his mobile number.

When we were left in the lurch by a disappearing builder, the LABC eventually agreed to sign off the building work if we had a PIR done on the electrics, as they did not have the facilities to inspect it themselves.

The trouble was, the local electricians we approached told us their trade body did not permit them to carry out a PIR on a new installation :confused: I never did get to the bottom of exactly why.

Eventually, after six months of wrangling, one agreed to do an inspection on the not-so-new installation, so we eventually got all the work signed off.

Does anybody know why the likes of NICEIC don't allow their members to carry out a PIR on new work? Do they not consider it is better to identify potential hazards before the fire rather than sifting through the ashes looking for someone to blame afterwards ?

Sponsored Links

Another question, the original electrician that did a bunk, I'd like to report him or at least find out if he is qualified. Where would be the best place to do that? I have his name but unfortunately he changed his mobile number.
Personaly, I would not waste your time & effort, there are several bodies he could be registered with & he is likely to be qualified, particularly in view of the second spark saying everything was ok, it would be just your word against his so unlikely to result in any justice for you, simply added stress & effort

One way round it would be to pay a sparks to do a consumer unit change, that way all circuits would be tested & certificated & you'd get part P compliance paperwork.

If you`re in England or Wales and had an extension then surely you had a bilding notice etc to the LABC.

If so then you`ve paid a fee which includes inspection and test if the LABC require it.
They may I & T themselves or subcontract someone to do it (At their expense not yours).

If they were previously informed that a Part P registered domestic installer was doing the wiring then they might have decided that their I & T of it was not required and now when they learn why thenthey can`t fail to have sympathy with you.

Have a word with them. They might also take the original electrician to task too.

One way round it would be to pay a sparks to do a consumer unit change, that way all circuits would be tested & certificated & you'd get part P compliance paperwork.

Would that work? The reason I ask.....I've spoken to the DS and he wasn't very helpful. He basically said that I had to get in touch with the electrician or he won't sign it off. Darn!

At this point I don't really care what it costs, I just want to get it inspected and signed off. Perhaps I'll see if I can find someone willing to do a CU change and then sign the kitchen off although that doesn't sound that likely or am I being a bit negative?

Sorry DS ? as in what (I don`t like the use of acronyms they can be misleading)

If you`re in England or Wales and had an extension then surely you had a bilding notice etc to the LABC.

If so then you`ve paid a fee which includes inspection and test if the LABC require it.
They may I & T themselves or subcontract someone to do it (At their expense not yours).

If they were previously informed that a Part P registered domestic installer was doing the wiring then they might have decided that their I & T of it was not required and now when they learn why thenthey can`t fail to have sympathy with you.

Have a word with them. They might also take the original electrician to task too.

Well yes, I did give notice to building control and we had planning permission approved but I hired the electrician directly as the builder had said that he wasn't certified. So I paid the electrician but as I say, after doing the work he did a bunk.

If I remember correctly I paid some money to the council, is that what you're talking about?

The DS wasn't particularly helpful though so I'm not sure how far I'm going to get with the building control department.

Who would be the best people to get in touch with?

Sorry DS ? as in what (I don`t like the use of acronyms they can be misleading)

Sorry, the district surveyor, the guy that's been coming in every day to make sure everything is being done correctly. (I'm also terrible with acronyms :) )

If He`s employed by the local authrity building control and you paid them a building notice fee then I & T is included in that price. In fact he will have (should have) noticed that cables are in correct zones before covering up if he`s been there everyday and at worst will just require someone to do the inspect and test Unless he is capable of doing it himself) at the expense of the local authority, not you.

Some local authorities try insisting you pay for I & T (sorry about the acronym) but the government has told them they are not allowed to and must do it or pay for it themselves out of the fee they charge you (they are not allowed to charge extra for it) Ref Anne Hemming RIP at the then ODPM

That sounds promising but when I spoke to building control they said that it's not their job to do a Part P or anything, they need the electrician to notify it otherwise they won't sign off the job. So the building control guy said that before he signs off the job he wants the certificate!

I'm stuck between and rock and....

Do you think they are wrong? Should I argue it with them?

If you do get the cu changed a part P reg'd sparks, upon completion he will issue you with an Electrical Installation Certificate, & this will include testing of all circuits including the extension & notify the work through his governing body (niceic etc) as per Part P.
You get all the certificates you require LABC are happy with the notification.
Jobs a goodun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back