Have caused a problem with my boiler? Baxi Solo HE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had my boiler, a Baxi Solo HE serviced, as it kept cutting out, red lockout light on constantly. The boiler seemed to work ok for a period of time after that and then started doing it again. Last night even after pressing the reset button the boiler refused to start. SO in my infinite wisdom as a non expert I carefully took the front of the boiler off to expose the burner and electrodes. The first thing I noticed was a fair amount of oxidisatipon on the electrodes, so with some very fine emery cloth I cleaned them up AND did the same for similiar looking 'rod' next to them which I assume was part of the temp sensor? Put the whole thing back together, fired it up and great, all started up ok. Unfortunately after about 30 mins of use the boiler cuts out with red light flashing indicating an overheat fault, never had this before .... Have I done something wrong? if so what can I do to fix? - Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
With respect,the parts you have fiddled with have nothing to do with temperature sensors.Clearly you are out of your comfort zone and a competent boiler repair man is required.The fault is not not uncommon with this boiler but diy gas advice is not allowed. :)
You can however check other parts of your system eg pump etc.

With respect,the parts you have fiddled with have nothing to do with temperature sensors.Clearly you are out of your comfort zone and a competent boiler repair man is required.The fault is not not uncommon with this boiler but diy gas advice is not allowed. :)
You can however check other parts of your system eg pump etc.

You are correct I am outside my comfort zone; but the electrodes were oxidised and they have been cleaned; what would be the other 'rod' out of interest that resides next to the electrodes if not a temp sensor / thermostat?

It just seems to be a bit of a coincidence that the overheat fault occured after cleaning these parts and not before...

Rather than having infinite wisdom it seems rather silly to me to open the combustion chamber as you have done.

If the boiler is really overheating then you should measure th flow and return temps. If thats much over 12 C then you could examine the pump and see if thats not operating efficiently.

Might be better to get a competent engineer to check your boiloer after you have been fiddling with it to see if its still safe.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hmmm... I realise I have made a mistake; so will get an engineer in to fix now. I was so careful when I opened up the combustion chamber though... Out of morbid curiosity, is there a formal procedure for accessing the combustion chamber? I guess its not the case of unscrewing it, taking it off and putting it back on again?

Thanks

Thought I would update in case anybody else finds this useful. I sorted the problem in the end, it was no big deal. After a bit of internet searching it appears I had not tightened the bolts holding on the combustion chamber cover sufficiently; this I have now done and all works well.

You say all sorted after cleaning, how long did it last after. I've had this problem for two years ( replacing ignition probe last year) New probe sorted fault for 9 mths or so then back to square one. Locks out red light on. Quick strip down and clean probe and back together works fine for a few months and same happens. Rust appears to be building up at end of probe. Any ideas?

If you can't be bothered to start your own thread and also read the date of the one you've hijacked, then I cannot be bothered to answer you.

Hijacked? Is that not the idea of a forum. You ask questions and seek answers to help each other with the same problem. Very rude!!! And being as question aimed at the guy with the same problem as me feel free not to answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back