Have I been sold a 2nd hand heat exchanger as new?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title. I bought a listed as "new" heat exchanger for an Ideal ISAR HE24 off E-Bay but it has marks on it that makes me think it might be used. See attached. Appreciate any feedback
IMG_20210509_151325_744.jpg

Sponsored Links
Certainly looks dodgy, but never replaced an isar one. eBay generally prettying good at resolving disputes if you want your money back.

I'd say used, are you sure it wasn't sold as "seller refurbished"?

Sponsored Links
It looks like it's been attached to something therefore, I'd suggest it's used.

Maybe email the seller and ask them to explain where it came from and what the marks are from.

I suggest this because I remember an RGI friend of mine was sent the wrong boiler from a supplier [LPG instead of mains gas] and installed it before he realised. Once the mistake was discovered, the boiler had been installed but never operated. The merchant couldn't re-sell it because it had been installed, so, it sat in his garage for several years, before eventually when he moved house he sold some of the parts off as unused. They could as a result have had installation marks on.

Fleabay is a lottery, you can win and then you can lose as well. Once I bought a pcb for a boiler as stock. It was sold as new in original box. When I went to use it, it was a dud.
Now I will only buy stuff that is for immediate use and in sealed box unless even that is not important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back