Have I got lodgers?

DforDave said:
[
Traps should arrive tomorrow and I will be getting my bait ready. I am thinking of using something different on each to see what "IT" prefers! So far I have Mars Bar, Snicker and peanut butter on my list. Might even put a bit of telephone cable on one seeing as "IT" seems to like chewing it so much :rolleyes:

What about the back end of another mouse, at least it'll die happy!

Sponsored Links
So, did you tell the wife that the evidence was pointing towards rodents???

I think I'd prefer to tell my wife that we had ghosts!

mildmanneredjanitor said:
So, did you tell the wife that the evidence was pointing towards rodents???

I think I'd prefer to tell my wife that we had ghosts!

I am keeping it a low profile at the moment. If I let her think we might have rats or mice she will want them removed immediately.

On the subject of getting a cat we had four cats here when we first moved in. They caught loads of mice - in the fields - and brought them into the house to meet us ! One even brought in a live baby rabbit. They were my daughter's cats and she took them with her when she got married and moved out.

Also, don't forget to find where the little burger/s got in the first place! I've heard that they are quite the little Houdini and can gain entry in ways that you would have thought impossible!!!

You wouldn't want a repeat performance! Sharp teeth, damage and disease, and as for the rats!!! :D

Sponsored Links
mildmanneredjanitor said:
Also, don't forget to find where the little burger/s got in the first place! I've heard that they are quite the little Houdini and can gain entry in ways that you would have thought impossible!!!

You wouldn't want a repeat performance! Sharp teeth, damage and disease, and as for the rats!!! :D

Yeah. My main suspects are here...

Ratentry1.jpg

and
Ratentry2.jpg
The first one was home to a wasp nest last year - you can still see the powder I used to try to get rid of them. Doesn't seem to be disturbed by anything crwling over it though.

I am going to fill these gaps in as soon as the weather allows. Problem is, will I be stopping Roland or Mickey getting in, or stopping them getting out :!: :?:

Talking about wasps .. in mid to late march or so, I use half a can of wasp spray in the loft and leave a 'Vapona' type fly killer up there ... In an attempt to polish off overwintering and deter site searching Queen wasp from establishing a nest ... they are a pain in the **s, they may do good overall, but I am deffo a NIMLY (not in my loft) thankyou !

Our downpipes are concreted in, with the associated drains / soakaway openings having grills, I think (hope) this prevents rats / mice gaining roof access, unless they gain access to the soakaway of course ... also, cavities filled with insulation.
:cry: :cry:

Very helpful man from Pest Control visited us this morning. He is certain we had a MOUSE :evil: Good news though that it wasn't a rat :D

Lack of droppings, and the fact that the poison/traps haven't been disturbed for several days makes him think it was just a single field mouse, and it has already left the way it entered.

He thinks it got in through an air brick leading to the underfloor void - apparantly they can get through any hole that is 6mm or more. I need to find a way of blocking these so that mice stay out but air gets in :!:

He also recommended I use wire wool to block up the route from my kitchen to the loft - wire wool is easy to shove into the space and shape to its contours, is removable later if necessary, and mice hate it :evil:

Nice helpful man - free service because he didn't need to provide any treatment; just advice. He even suggested I give him a call in the summer and he will come out and deal with my wasp nests.

DforDave said:
Very helpful man from Pest Control visited us this morning. He is certain we had a MOUSE :evil: Good news though that it wasn't a rat :D

Lack of droppings, and the fact that the poison/traps haven't been disturbed for several days makes him think it was just a single field mouse, and it has already left the way it entered.

He thinks it got in through an air brick leading to the underfloor void - apparantly they can get through any hole that is 6mm or more. I need to find a way of blocking these so that mice stay out but air gets in :!:

He also recommended I use wire wool to block up the route from my kitchen to the loft - wire wool is easy to shove into the space and shape to its contours, is removable later if necessary, and mice hate it :evil:

Nice helpful man - free service because he didn't need to provide any treatment; just advice. He even suggested I give him a call in the summer and he will come out and deal with my wasp nests.

I wonder if the aluminium type 'wool' works equally as well ? Can imagine the wire wool getting rusty and maybe perhaps causing stains somewhere over time -- interesting advice though.
Steel airbrick may be the thing, supposedly vermin proof :-
VerminProof.jpg

Expamet expanded stainless steel ( soffit vent mesh used over the vents to exclude birds and insects) could be framed and fitted over the existing vent bricks.
P

pipme said:
I wonder if the aluminium type 'wool' works equally as well ? Can imagine the wire wool getting rusty and maybe perhaps causing stains somewhere over time.

Good point about rusting - what is this aluminium type wool, and where do you get it ?

DforDave said:

This was my Plan "A" but my wife thinks there might be a slight flaw with it...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Dfordave/Plan1.jpg

So I have moved on to Plan "B"...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Dfordave/PlanB.jpg

Seriously, before I add plan "B" to the other air bricks, can any builders advise whether they think I am blocking it too much and not allowing enough air through?

I'm no builder, but I can't see a problem with that.

It's not as if you're seriously impeding airflow. Not like a customer of mine who filled every hole on all of her airbricks with silicone and her loft eaves with 400mm of rockwool.

She wonders why there is damp everywhere....

DforDave said:
pipme said:
I wonder if the aluminium type 'wool' works equally as well ? Can imagine the wire wool getting rusty and maybe perhaps causing stains somewhere over time.

Good point about rusting - what is this aluminium type wool, and where do you get it ?

Hope your expanded metal is Stainless or Aluminium .. rust staining again ....
Second in Googled list Ally-wire-wool

http://www.metallic-wool.co.uk/non-ferrousandspecials/non-ferrousandspecials.htm
Sure to be other sources .. ;) ;)

planenut said:
No ghost then?

Might have some soon. Small furry ones with big ears and long tails - knitting bedsocks out of aluminium wire wool :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back