Making up LAN RJ45 cables.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New blu-ray played so needed a long LAN cable. Had some cables but the plastic retaining tags broken and they keep falling out.
So sent for pliers and plugs with idea of replacing. So carefully noticing how connected did first short lead A1.
So second long lead failed but maybe fault on cable and I did not buy tester and my multi-meter prods are too thick.
So replaced one which worked but had broken tag and it failed. Carefully checked connection and all wires in correct holes. So though maybe not crimped correct. Tried heavy crimp and light crimp still failed.
So question is why. A number of thoughts.
1) The cable does not match ends.
2) Faulty plugs.
3) Faulty crimper.
Something I have missed. So are there different RJ45 plugs for flexible and solid cable? It is flexible I am having problems with.
I have sent for new cable pre-made but I have loads of patch leads with broken tags and I had intended to replace them all. I have noted the cables don't seem to all follow same colour code and I have made sure I have followed code used with that cable. Non are cross over cables.

Sponsored Links
There are numerous problems with cheap toolage for 8P8Cs. Many of them need to have the die aligned properly before they'll work right.

You also need to ensure all the wires are of the same length before crimping.

Your cables should be wired according to T568A or B, as seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568#Wiring

As for different types of plug, yes, there are three major patterns, for solid, stranded, or both. However, I've never had a problem using the 'wrong' plug, you just have to crimp really, really hard to use a stranded plug on a solid core cable.. The majority available should be for stranded anyway.

If you have a decent camera, post up photos of:
Your crimped ends
Your connectors (side view of pins, very close)
Your crimp, open and closed, and closed with a connector in it

I think I may have found the mistake. I had thought it was 12 pair, 34 pair, 56, pair and 78 pair however it seems 36 is a pair and 45 is unused pair which explains why a single plug replacement did not work and why long cables did not work as the impedance of the 36 pair would have been well out. However on replacing the plug I still was not getting it to work so here goes with pictures.
is general picture and shows type of pliers and
shows close up on unused plug shows the cables in the plug and shows the pliers on plug but the light was not too good so needed 30 seconds exposure time with about +7 close up lenses fitted to the standard zoom lens. In hind sight should have increased the ISO rating and if you can't see what is required if not I will need to set up some lighting I can zoom in more if required full frame of about 3mm is about the limit with camera after that need microscope and not sure if there is enough room to fit plugs under the microscope.
To me all seems OK and I will admit I can see more with pictures than I could with naked eye. So what do you think?

Those 8P8Cs are for solid wire, so it's possible you're not making proper contact with the wire.

I can't really see anything wrong with the work, though, except it looks like some of the wires are slightly short in the third picture.

You're sure you're wiring these straight through, ie. same pair configuration at both ends?

Sponsored Links
Probably time to invest in a tester. Even a cheap one will give you a better idea of where the issue lies.

Back