Cat5e cable - Quality

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to do a network around my home, the current one I have uses a few Cat5e cables the IT dept at work kindly let me have. I will intergrate them again into my network, because they seem so solid.

I recently bought one 50m length with plugs on the end, cut it and found it was nowhere up to spec. i.e. 2 twisted pairs and the other 2 pairs no twists at all! The replacement cable is better with four twisted pairs but still not as good as the stuff I once had from work. The outer sleeve being almost too big for the enclosed cables and so more prone to kinking

When comparing the cables there seems a wide variation in quality and simply paying a lot for cable is no guarantee it will be any better.

What I am looking for is Cat5e UTP spec with 24awg conductors - stranded for flexibility as I will be terminating direct with plugs and not using outlet boxes. So any advice on where I can get good quality cable would be appreciated. For instance would the cable from screwfix be decent. Alternatively brand names that can be relied upon.

Sponsored Links
Screwfix will be fine, but 5e minimum spec. Your house it tiny compared to warehouses with pulls of 300 meters and numerous hubs. I would stick a plug on each end of that 50m you have and do a simple speed test for internet and transferring a file to another PC. If you are happy with the result, crack on. Try and keep the cable a foot away from mains cable runs and any coax cables for possible interference and don't bend it tight around any corners. I'm sure you will be just fine with that cheapo looking cable you have right now.

Dan.

Sponsored Links
I think the point about 300 pulls is that with Cat5e I would not expect a single length to exceed 100m in normal circumstances.

From my experience of dealing with Electrical Accounts I would check the specification and expect that signal boosters would be required on greater lengths or whatever equipment allows long runs to do the job. ;)

Back