Have I got the right cable?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

Hi guys! I've got a BT line coming into my flat (black in the picture)

It seems to have two very thing blue wires and two orange ones. The two blue ones then join to the white telephone line that is already inside my flat (via the two clear plastic junction boxes).

The white telephone line also appears to have two very thin orange and blue and green wires inside it. The only wires that appear to be used are the blue ones.

Now, I need to change the white telephone line in my house because it's frayed and bent and filthy.

My question is, what sort of white telephone line do I need to buy to replace the one I already have? Is it called anything in particular? Can I use a standard BT telephone extension cable and splice that up?

Also, how can I make the join between the black wire and the white wire neater?

Sorry for the poor quality pictures!

Can anyone point me in the right direction before I try it myself, screw it up, so I wont have an Internet connection to see your replies?

:D

Sponsored Links
BT own that black wire and the box it should be in.
You do anything to it and it goes wrong they will charge you.

6 core solid drawn cable is what you need to use if you decide to do anything and a new master socket.

Ah I see! So could I simply attach the black wire into a BT master socket and put that on the wall, and use that as the junction box if you like, then simply plug an extension into the master socket?

Indeed.

As before its BT`s property though and they can frown upon it.

Sponsored Links
You're a legend. Just to clarify one more time:

This is the black cable coming into the flat. The two blue wires are joined via two clear junction boxes to the white cable:

The white cable then runs to my BT master socket where the blue wires fix into. There are 3 possible sockets for the blue wires and they are in the two outside ones:

Below you can see my new BT master socket. As you can see there are only two places for the two blue wires to go, A & B. I assume I just need to try both options until it works?

One final question. Do I need a special tool to plug the thin wires home? I don't one but can it still be done with something else?

You seem to have the right idea.

There is a correct insertion tool.
Makes sure the terminations are tight.
I have stripped bach sone sheating and pushed in the conductor before with a small driver but its not good practise.

You only need one NTE for your installation. The second NTE is unnecessary, and will probably degrade the line performance.

The NTE should be fitted to the black cable, and the wires at present in the crimps terminated in A and B. The white cable connects to the numbered terminals. 2, 3 and 5. The other socket should be a secondary socket, and that should be connected using the same terminals and wire colours as the NTE.

There are cheap 'n' cheerful wire inseters available like the one at the bottom here:-
p1448219_l.jpg

They are adequate for terminating the wires. Using a screwdriver blade to push the wires home deforms the contacts, making them prone to failure.

Okay but I need a junction box in the hall for my Internet router.

So if I fit the black cable to the NTE like you said, and fit it to the wall where the black cable is, is it then okay to run an extension socket from the NET into the hall? Will this degrade the line performance? This seems easier than running a cable from the first NTE to another one in the hall.

No it will not. As long as it is a slave not a master.
Or if you only have two masters cut out the resistors.
AS mentioned using a screwdrives inst reconmeneded as I said before.

Okay, thanks for your help both of you. It works perfectly!

Just to clarify...what's best...connect an ordinary BT extension to the NTE or connect another NTE to the first one with the 6 core cable? How do I know which is a slave and which a master?

I've got another question...I have this BT extension cable with male and female at either end. If I snip off either the plug or the socket, will I discover the 6 core orange, green and blue wires you can also see in the picture?

Also, how can I join two of those tiny wires together? Where can I get the small clear plastic junction boxes you can see in my first picture?

AB.

Answer is up there ONE NTE, then a standard socket.
Dontt that extension it uses a braided core. If you need it longer use an adaptor.

Master NTE will have a big round thing at the back called a capasitor. The std will not.

AS for the little gel connectors, see a BT guy in the street beg a few off him :D

Okay cool. Just to clarify...an NTE has a socket at the front, doesn't it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back