Have I made a mistake installing an AAV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single SVP that extends through the roof of my house.

I needed to free up that particular section of roof for solar panels so earlier today I cut off the pipe in the attic and replaced it with an AAV, as I was led to believe from the website at https://www.jdpipes.co.uk/knowledge/above-ground/soil-vent-pipes-vs-air-admittance-valves.html that I didn't need open ventilation providing my neighbours on the same sewer run have open vents.

I now have a faint sewer smell in the upstairs bathroom but it doesn't appear to be in the attic (although not sure I would smell anything as roof tiles are still off so there is quite a lot of ventilation).

Have I done anything wrong here? Could it be siphoning water out of the sink or bath trap?

If an AAV can't be used, is it possible to vent out of one of those plastic vent tiles or a vented ridge tile? Or would that make the loft smell from gases making their way back in?

Sponsored Links
When you flush the toilet does the water behave in the same way as it did before or does it rise slightly? You system may need positive pressure venting due to some restriction somewhere and that positive pressure is blowing past a trap seal. You could re-position the vent on the roof using internal pipework/flexi pipe.

Both upstairs and downstairs toilets behave exactly the same as before, no rises in water. If I get a plumber in should they be able to work out if I need positive pressure venting?

Is it possible to vent out of a ridge tile using Flexi pipe?

that I didn't need open ventilation providing my neighbours on the same sewer run have open vents.
If ( when ) the neighbours alter their plumbing then there might be no effective vent for the sewer system than into loft spaces.

Sponsored Links
Would it be fair to say that it should technically work but is not ideal? And obviously if everyone on the street did it then there would be an issue.

I'm not keen on bodging it, but also I'd really like the space back otherwise I will lose two solar panels.

I have these vent tiles already installed in the roof:

Klober says they can be used for soil ventilation. Would the best option be to take out the AAV and connect the SVP to the tile vent instead? It's not near any windows.

if everyone on the street did it then there would be an issue
Only if everyone on your drain run did it, not necessarily the whole street.

Can you re-instate the open vent or at least take of the AAV temporarily and see if it disappears?

I could take it off, but then it would be venting in to the attic, so I wouldn't be able to tell where the smell was coming from.

I've got a plumber coming round tomorrow to take a look as I think it's a bit beyond me and I'm nervous about reconnecting the pipe as I cut it off so short. Hopefully he will say I can vent it out of the tile vents I mentioned above or a new ridge tile.

I'm struggling to find any mention of using a tile (ridge or tile) in the building regs.

I'm struggling to find any mention of using a tile (ridge or tile) in the building regs.
You do get specific vent tile and adapters that have a spigot at the rear and allow a flexi pipe to be connected to the soil pipe internally and it fits where a tile would live and vents through that

All depends on the types of roof that you have and the tiles it uses, your roofer should be well versed in them as against your plumber

1695761045457.png
1695761058097.png
1695761091810.png
1695761136611.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back