Have these insects in my bathroom, what are they?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had these things for a few years, what are they? How do I get rid of them?
20231030_182945.jpg
20231030_182851.jpg

Sponsored Links
silver fish, they thrive on damp, but can survive a year without eating.
Boric acid by the kilo from ebay or similar will be the quickest way to get rid of them.

You do need to fix the damp they are thriving on.

They are like a prehistoric monster if you look at them magnified

damn things eat books and will get into flour and stuff if they can

pretty hard to eradicate IME

Sponsored Links
Repair the leak, fit a better extractor fan. Once the room is dry they will die out.

Boric acid has been taken off the domestic market due to birth defect worries.

Now try and find it in a retail shop.

Edit
I was thinking of Borax, which was traditionally a household chemical used as an insecticide and cleaner.

However, on looking up Boric Acid, I found:

"According to the CLH report for boric acid published by the Bureau for Chemical Substances Lodz, Poland, boric acid in high doses shows significant developmental toxicity and teratogenicity in rabbit, rat, and mouse fetuses as well as cardiovascular defects, skeletal variations, and mild kidney lesions.[23] As a consequence in the 30th ATP to EU directive 67/548/EEC of August 2008, the European Commission decided to amend its classification as reprotoxic category 2, and to apply the risk phrases R60 (may impair fertility) and R61 (may cause harm to the unborn child).[24][25][26][27][28]

At a 2010 European Diagnostics Manufacturing Association (EDMA) Meeting, several new additions to the Substance of Very High Concern (SVHC) candidate list in relation to the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals Regulations 2007 (REACH) were discussed. Following the registration and review completed as part of REACH, the classification of Boric Acid CAS 10043-35-3 / 11113-50-1 is listed from 1 December 2010 is H360FD (May damage fertility. May damage the unborn child.)[29][30]"

It is still sold for some industrial purposes.

Last edited:
Agreed you dont want to be exposed to too much of it.
"boric acid in high doses" is the key part to note, a little bit of dust once in a while will be shrugged off easily.
You want the silverfish to get the high doses, not your family.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back