Extractor fan insect mesh insert ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to remove the extractor fan myself and insert a back draught shutter into tube, and refit the fan, currently it hasn’t got one.

I’d like to also add a fine mesh insert of some kind, to prevent the smallest of insects getting through and as my flat is on the 3rd floor, I can’t access the outdoor wall vent.

Can anyone recommend a back draught shutter that has a fine mesh insect mesh already attached, I’ve search online but found nothing.

or know of an insect mesh insert which can be pushed into the extraction tube ducting, like the back draught insert or know of a mouldable fine metal mesh that I can cut, shape and adapt to fit ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I’d like to also add a fine mesh insert of some kind, to prevent the smallest of insects getting through
Such a thing will get blocked by dust in a few days.

Unless you plan on dismantling the extraction ducting and cleaning it every week, don't bother.

Look at the Icon 15 extractor fan. It opened when you use it and it closes automatically when you turn it off

Such a thing will get blocked by dust in a few days.

Unless you plan on dismantling the extraction ducting and cleaning it every week, don't bother.
No it won’t.
I live in a Housing Association flat and the original extractor fan thats just been replaced, has been in use for 20 years and it had a fine mesh screen in between the fan and the tube ducting and, it never got blocked or required cleaning every few weeks, in fact, I’ve never ever cleaned it.

Sponsored Links
Look at the Icon 15 extractor fan. It opened when you use it and it closes automatically when you turn it off
Thanks for the suggestion but at £63, not likely, especially that I have two fans, although it does look a far better alternative to the fans which have been installed.

It’s an Housing Association property and the new fans have already been installed.

The old fan turned on automatically, I guess when humidity was detected but the new fans, one in kitchen, other in the bathroom, both run all the time and boost output when the light is switched on, so I assume the Icon 15, would require some kind of rewire but thanks again for the suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion but at £63, not likely, especially that I have two fans, although it does look a far better alternative to the fans which have been installed.

It’s an Housing Association property and the new fans have already been installed.

The old fan turned on automatically, I guess when humidity was detected but the new fans, one in kitchen, other in the bathroom, both run all the time and boost output when the light is switched on, so I assume the Icon 15, would require some kind of rewire but thanks again for the suggestion.

I will only recommend good quality proven products and you are correct to assume you need either the timer module or the humidistat option. It’s unlikely that you would need any rewiring.

Housing associations are very guilty of buying cheaply and replacing OFTEN so the costs are higher in the long run

I will only recommend good quality proven products and you are correct to assume you need either the timer module or the humidistat option. It’s unlikely that you would need any rewiring.

Housing associations are very guilty of buying cheaply and replacing OFTEN so the costs are higher in the long run
Yeah, cost are probably higher in long run but I’m the tenant and the HA pay and I don’t have any control as to what product they install, unless I remove what’s already been installed and I replace with my own product, which I don’t really want to do, although I don’t mind fitting the draught shutters as they’re not that expensive or difficult to fit.

If they run continually you may have a heat recovery system , not something you can diy without the knowledge.

No, there’s no heat recovery, just extractor fans, which I’ve already removed without disconnecting to see whether it was possible to insert draught shutters

No, there’s no heat recovery, just extractor fans, which I’ve already removed without disconnecting to see whether it was possible to insert draught shutters
Insects are not usually a problem, mesh fine enough to block them would also block very quickly with fluff and dust blown out.

Insects are not usually a problem, mesh fine enough to block them would also block very quickly with fluff and dust blown out.
Thanks for your response.
The fan that was removed from the kitchen had a fine mesh on the back of the fan, kind of like a mosquito netting and in the 20 odd years that fan was fitted and in use, it never got blocked.

When the fan was removed, other than the yellowing to the plastic and a slight build of fine dust on the blades, the fan looked as good as new but showing its age and there was no build of fluff.

I only have this experience to go on but these new fans, make my kitchen and bathroom noticeably cold and I keep finding dead insects on the worktop below the fan in the kitchen, which was never an issue before the new energy saving, low carbon footprint fans were fitted

Last edited:
However, although there’s no heat recovery system, my idea of inserting draught shutters may not be possible, as my new fans run continuously at a low speed, which can’t be switched off and it could be of an insufficient speed/force to push open the shutters and could possibly cause the fan motor to overheat ?

Last edited:
However, although there’s no heat recovery system, my idea of inserting draught shutters may not be possible, as my new fans run continuously at a low speed, which can’t be switched off and it could be of an insufficient speed/power to push open the shutters and could possibly cause the fan motor to overheat ?

Constantly running, will prevent insects from getting in, so no need for an insect screen at all. I agree with others, a fine insect screen, will choke up with dust and fluff, quite quickly.

Unless you run a hoover across the vent now and then to remove the dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back