Bathroom extractor fans letting in so much cold air

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning!

I’m hoping you can help.
In all My bathrooms the extractor fans are letting in a lot of cold air.
I bought a manrose back draught shutter to test out how much better It could be, but before I install it I want to make sure you wouldn’t recommend I do anything different( ducting , tape etc) - or whether you would recommend i do something different instead?

I’m a bit concerned my back draught shutter might be annoying in the wind as well

Thank you for your help

IMG_8898.jpeg
IMG_8900.jpeg
IMG_8901.jpeg
IMG_8899.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The Airflow Icon extractors have shutters that are closed when the fan isn't running.

Not cheap though.

I have only ever lived in properties with solid walls. I wonder if part of the airflow is drafts in the cavity wall. Thinking off the top of my head, expanding foam in the cavity part of the wall might help.

Are you able to fit a louvred vent outside?

I just tried to a dummy run.
The back draught shutter stopped the airflow but it had to be at an angle to stop the flaps from being open. But then the extractor fan wouldn’t connect to the shutter so then the fan didn’t work.

This is what the outside looks like.
IMG_8902.jpg

Reckon it would be easier and less chance of a rattle to change it to something like this?

The Airflow Icon extractors have shutters that are closed when the fan isn't running.

Not cheap though.

I have only ever lived in properties with solid walls. I wonder if part of the airflow is drafts in the cavity wall. Thinking off the top of my head, expanding foam in the cavity part of the wall might help.

Are you able to fit a louvred vent outside?
The air flow is coming straight from outside. It looks like the outside is just a guard to stop any dust or animals.

Sponsored Links
I just tried to a dummy run.
The back draught shutter stopped the airflow but it had to be at an angle to stop the flaps from being open. But then the extractor fan wouldn’t connect to the shutter so then the fan didn’t work.

This is what the outside looks like.
View attachment 322633

Reckon it would be easier and less chance of a rattle to change it to something like this?

Yeah, go for one of those.

Those little airflow shutters work best in the vertical. They have very light springs to ensure the don't flop over themselves but are not the best in the horizontal.
A better version for horizontal use is similar but is just one flap on a 60/40 hinge.

The photo of the cavity isn't clear but, i have the same (brown) shutter as yours on my kitchen vent as it's high up (away from animals) and is great for high output fans.

For your bathroom fan, might be ok. Might not. Mine rattles in high winds if we leave the kitchen windows open. (Flow through).

I'd say the brown one is fine.

However, make sure to sleeve through the wall properly. Ensure condensation can drain. If i remember my set up correctly, i left the sleeve slightly proud on the external side and seal accordingly.

Do make sure to sleeve the wall properly though, sealing well on both sides. Not doing so creates all manner of issues.

Oh, and if you sleeve with proper ducting, (100mm ID) you can use draught excluder tape on the fan spigot (97mm id) to seal.

This is how my (expensive tbh ) xpelair fan is installed in accordance with the IOM.

And if you fit it..... you'll regret it the first windy night when is banging open & closed all night.... You'll be ripping it out in the morning!

Spend the cash & buy a fan with an electrically operated shutter!

And if you fit it..... you'll regret it the first windy night when is banging open & closed all night.... You'll be ripping it out in the morning!

Spend the cash & buy a fan with an electrically operated shutter!
What would you recommend?

I’m not an electrician , would I be able to wire one up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back